Winchester .308 Deer Season XP factory round

Tommer23

Beginner
Feb 1, 2017
Winchesters .308 win. 150 gr. factory round. Penetrated 3 water jugs at 100 yards. Pretty explosive but lacking in penetration. 91.5 gr. retained weight.

That looks like a great deer bullet to me. That sorta frontal area is going to move a lot of flesh. That's almost exactly what I'd like to see out of a great deer bullet. I can't imagine it not clobbering deer.

I'll bet that thing is a serious killer on deer & pronghorn antelope!

I favor a fast expanding bullet on deer sized game.

Guy

95 Gr XP's shoot sub inch groups from my 243. Real satisfied with performance on paper. CL

While it might give one pause on elk or grizzly, as has been stated, on deer or smaller game, that bullet will work. Should be good on caribou, as well.

cloverleaf":ulm2w4jp said:
95 Gr XP's shoot sub inch groups from my 243. Real satisfied with performance on paper. CL

That'll smoke deer or antelope. Great shooting CL. Danged Savages :twisted:

Thanks. "Even a blind squirrel.....once in a while" D@gned Savage is right. That thing was supposed to be rebarreled to a 250 Sav. years ago. NEVER SHOOT THE DONOR :) !CL

My daughter's 243 had the best accuracy with this factory load out of several tried. She has taken a few deer with it, and the results are exceptional. A friend was so impressed with it that he bought some for his wife's 243, and the performance in that one was just as good.

I also have used it in one of my 270s with excellent results on deer and antelope. I have a couple of cases of it in 270 so I don't run out.

Back