168g Amax on feral pigs

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
Hello Folks,

Two friends and I went out on the hogs this week, overall we took 29 between us over a couple of days and a great time had. Thought I'd report on the performance of the 30 cal 168 Amax on the pigs.

I was using my Sako A7 in 308 Win loaded with the Amax to a mild-ish 2700 fps. I took 5 pigs with this and all except one were one shot kills, the exception having been hit on the hoof going flat out through timber, having said that the shot anchored the sow and one finisher was all that was needed.

Sorry recovered-bullet-geeks; this was a culling operation and I didn't dig any bullets out. Suffice to say that in any case nearly all were pass throughs.

One of my mates also used the same ammo in his Tikka CTR for another 4 pigs on the first morning as he'd left his ammo in camp (!) and he had similarly stellar performance.

Overall I recommend this bullet very highly for hunting. Nice exit wounds in every case, plenty of blood but absolutely no tracking needed. My favourite for the trip was a good sow running like the clappers that I hit at a tough angle running away about 70 yards off. Did not take one more step!

The sow hit on the run in the timber that needed a finisher...
CE524CEE-E834-4A7D-BB21-DA441F0AA397_zpsxpaebbvf.jpg

The sow taken on the run with a 3/4 running away shot; instant kill...
34FA06D7-DA9A-483D-B06A-B6B7C7F9782A_zpstdje9gfo.jpg

Another nice sow taken with a single shoulder shot...
91951FD0-B890-4F3F-B3F1-C33CC3795B65_zpskyn2hv22.jpg

This wasn't a shot to brag about, I hit this one with a single shot broadside on the run as he tried to reach the end of cultivation. By the time I got to him though, he was stone dead so the wide expansion of the Amax saved what was a hit way further back than I intended. (Hey I've been used to the 270 Win shooting 130 grainers at 3100fps!)...
6B16641A-49B1-42FF-B3C5-5CF8B902AE2D_zpsijm2rnwx.jpg

I've done wet newspaper tests on this bullet within this forum. My testing on pigs and goats back up those findings. I hope the ELD that Hornady are replacing the Amax with are as good - and eventually become as cheap as - these great Amax offerings.

Regards.

Bob

Well that's it... Photobucket wants 399 clams a year to allow posting of photos onto threads. That's the end of them!

Yup! I note that they're working their way through their list. I expect to see the transition for myself any day. I'm moving to elsewhere shortly.

bobnob":347eqw2v said:
Well that's it... Photobucket wants 399 clams a year to allow posting of photos onto threads. That's the end of them!

Yup.... what a crock!

I never was enamored with the Photobucket routine. I don't find it difficult at all with the storage I have to just upload from my PC. Besides, that let's me control the size of the danged things so you don't have to scroll up and down and off the right to see a sub- MOA group that looks like a 4 incher on the screen!! Ask me, I'll tell you I'm not fond of direct pic loads from Tapatalk either! Gettin' grouchier since I hit seven oh.
EE2

Back