150gn BT

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Hunting with the 308 150gn NBT in 30.06 @2950fps.

Is this bullet up to shoulder shots on White tail deer? Is should I stick with lung shots?

Thanks Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I shoot at the crease behind the shoulder, mostly DRT. I don't like shoulder shots, it makes a mess.

TackDriver284":3irmkbp5 said:
Personally I shoot at the crease behind the shoulder, mostly DRT. I don't like shoulder shots, it makes a mess.

Thank you. DRT with shoulder meat is what I want. Thinking about it, I’m realizing I take most my deer with my bow. Only a few with the rifle. The last 8pt shook me up a little. Double lung heart, infact cleaved the heart into two pieces of equal size, and ran 85 yards before running into a tree full speed. It left a big splot where it hit the tree. Don’t like deer getting out of sight. Like them dead right there, thank you TD284!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan,

The NBT are up to making shoulder shots, and perform very well. I like Nosler, They're quality and tend to stay together.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

The AB and PT would be better choices for shoulder shots.

JD338

I shot a cull buck this week with 168 grain CTBT. 1" exit hole and DRT. Right behind the shoulder on entry and exit was just into the shoulder. Dropped so fast in the tall grass the other deer did not see him fall.

Just me, personal choice entirely, but I'd stay away from a shoulder shot with a .308 150BT, unless it had some slowdown time. I've never seen, read any evidence that the 150 was one of the 'tougher' BT's such as the .308 180gr, or a .284 150gr.

I've had my best DRT shots by hitting high in the lungs and just below the spine. A LOT less meat damage. But if you don't care about blood shot meat....Go for it !

I've been using the 150 out of my 06 since they came out. Because my favorite hunt puts me on a rim above the mule deer I've shot quite a few through the spine, into the lungs, right between the shoulder blades. The spine shreds the BT. I would in a perfect world put them in the crease. Regardless of the shot presented I have no concerns with the BT. It has worked every time.

I loaded 125 gr Ballistic Tips to about 3,000 fps for a friend's .308 Win. She dropped a fat whitetail with a shoulder shot. Recovered the flattened bullet just under the skin on the off-side shoulder. It had broken both shoulder blades. I have told her that she should probably bump up to a heavier bullet if she wants to hunt elk & bear.

My 30-06 moved the 165 Ballistic Tip at about 2950 fps. I shot a cow elk in the shoulder at 338 yards. It went through the shoulder blade, destroyed the lungs and trashed the off-side shoulder. I never recovered the bullet, but I don't think it exited. The off-side shoulder sure was a mess though. I used that same bullet for bear, mule deer, elk & pronghorn. It worked great on all of 'em.

I think your 150's are likely quite good to go for a shoulder shot on whitetail. Heck, I've had no problem putting a little .25 cal, 115 gr Ballistic Tip through the shoulders of mule deer.

Guy

[emoji1][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I think I’m going to be very happy with these!

Good luck, can't wait to hear how you make out. I wouldn't worry about the bullet much.

Gunner46 said:
Just me, personal choice entirely, but I'd stay away from a shoulder shot with a .308 150BT, unless it had some slowdown time. I've never seen, read any evidence that the 150 was one of the 'tougher' BT's such as the .308 180gr, or a .284 150gr.

I've had my best DRT shots by hitting high in the lungs and just below the spine. A LOT less meat damage. But if you don't care about blood shot meat....Go for it ![/quote]

Same here. Even mid height or slightly above and still well below the spine. If the impact velocity is above the 2650-2700 range with a fast expanding bullet, a behind the shoulder shot mid height or above, can be a club them with a cement truck, shot and ruins very little meat. Sometimes you gotta take what you can get, but if I can I go behind the shoulder and high.

I took a mature buck at 15 yds from my tower blind. the 150 tip from my .300WM hit the right front shoulder, passed thru the lungs and exited far back on the right side. Was pleased w/ the penetration given the hi impact velocity. I'm all about quick,clean kills. Use what meat I is edible....so yes, take that shoulder shot !

Back