Bullet recovered from my first elk

theddguide

Beginner
Jun 16, 2018
Shot my first elk (spike) this past week at 542 yards. 180gr AccuBond from 300wsm at 2960 at the muzzle

d70b982e0f8843c7410ada94d6e287fd.jpg

76a75889e0338c74d36891818b18ac19.jpg

1be922c913075702a5a5c7f108a41006.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Excellent performance of a great bullet. Congratulations on some excellent table fare with that elk.

Congratulations on your first elk, must feel really nice, looks nice and fat. Bullet performed very well too.

Congratulations on your first elk. It is a fine looking specimen. You must have made a good shot for a kill at that distance. The rifle and bullet both performed for you. I used the same combo for my first bull last fall - 180 AB & 300 WSM.

Dan

Well done, welcome to the worst addiction known to man. My name is Don I’ve been an elk hunter for 54 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your bull, nicely done.
Those AB's are pure poison on elk.

JD338

NYDAN":2ii9b77n said:
Congratulations on your first elk. It is a fine looking specimen. You must have made a good shot for a kill at that distance. The rifle and bullet both performed for you. I used the same combo for my first bull last fall - 180 AB & 300 WSM.

Dan
Bullet entered a little behind right shoulder and found it under the hide a few inches in front of the left rear. It only took one shot and he hunched a bit, turned and walked 10 yards, laid down and that was that.

I finally weighed the recovered bullet.

135gr.

75% weight retention

Seems the 308 180 gr AB comes in around that 75% mark quite often give or take a bit either way. Such a great all around bullet.

Elkman":2pyfvtcd said:
Nice fat bull, beautiful.

I was thinking the same thing! Those are just the BEST eating elk, ever.

salmonchaser":2pyfvtcd said:
Well done, welcome to the worst addiction known to man. My name is Don I’ve been an elk hunter for 54 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, you nailed it Don.... THE WORST! HA!

Congrats on your bull and an awesome shot as well! The Accubonds continue to work really well for us in our camp, near and far.

Congratulations! No experience quite like that first elk. Unique smell, distinctive outstanding meat, the size of them - all of it. You will have memories for your lifetime. Nice going!

Back