180gr Ballistic Tip out of the 300 Win Mag

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
I used the 180gr Ballistic Tip out of my 300 Win Mag to kill this red stag.My load was 73.5grs of Hunter,mv a little over 3100fps.Shot the stag in the onside shoulder,bullet left a silver dollar size exit hole just behind the offside shoulder.Judging it's performance,I have great confidence in this bullet for good sized game.The stag was DRT when hit.The bullet blew a big hole through the scapula,but there was not an excessive amount of bloodshot or wasted meat on the shoulder,lungs were destroyed,exit through the ribs was about 1 1/2" hole.The bullet performance was much like a bonded bullet.I had heard the 180gr Ballistic Tip was a really stout bullet,I'd say it is.

Attachments

• Red Stag 2021.jpg
    Red Stag 2021.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 594
  • rd 180gr bt.jpg
    rd 180gr bt.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 594
Very nice! Congrats on the bull!

Those 180 BT's are very good bullets. They have always shot well in about any 30 caliber I have tried them in!

I shot one of my bigger bucks at 813yds with a 180BT from a 300RUM. They will handle big animals fine. The 180BT and larger caliber BT's were always made with thicker jackets in the base for larger game. I cut a bunch of them in half years ago. I think there is a picture floating around on this site somewhere of it.

Congrats.

Goes to show you the newer BT's are not your daddy's BT's of yesteryear.

lhsako":3nwbxlbz said:
Nice bull !!!! Do you know the field dressed weight?
I didn't weigh him,I'd say probably around 450lbs.I got 186lbs of boned out meat,which is more than a big cow elk I killed years back.The meat is excellent just like elk.

Don’t hit the shoulder blade !
The 180BT have always been a tougher .
I work up my load with BT 180’s then switch to AB to verify and hunt with

Back