E-Tips BC not as advertised?

Rommel

Beginner
Jul 1, 2021
Hi All! I read somewhere that E-Tips BC's are not as good as Nosler advertises... Is there any truth in this? Would Accubonds / BTips be better for flatter shooting to longer ranges?

I haven't had a ton of success using any of Nosler's listed BC's to be honest. Applied Ballistics usually has tested them and gives a truer BC to start with. Most all of them are inflated a decent amount.

I also found that in 25 Cal the 100 gr E-tips where not at length quoted and if you tried loading them to lengths given in Nosler data you ended up going past the ogive and getting crappy neck tension.

I will say Noslers BC for their 185gr RDF seems to hold true but that's the only one I have tested.

M

SJB358":26sap0h9 said:
I haven't had a ton of success using any of Nosler's listed BC's to be honest. Applied Ballistics usually has tested them and gives a truer BC to start with. Most all of them are inflated a decent amount.

Where are their findings listed???

FOTIS":2xlrebpk said:
SJB358":2xlrebpk said:

Where are their findings listed???

If you use the program they should have the corrected BCs in the program.

Applied Ballistics is some of the best money I ever spent (the app)... the custom drag models are great, not free, but well worth the little they cost for the bullets they're available for.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I think BC’s are given much more importance than should be if you’re 400 yards or less. At 400 yards or less a bad BC bullet will be within a few inches of a high BC bullet. A Hot Cor and ELD-x will be within about 2 inches of one another at 300 yards, and the Hot Cor has a pretty good BC for a flat base bullet. Every little bit helps but not until you start stretching it out a good bit.

I agree with you Joe. Long range shooting/hunting is where it's at these days. I think it started ramping up when Leupold introduced the B&C reticle. The average guy, who doesn't shoot 300+ yards is now thinking he can.
Enter the high BC bullets, they shoot farther, faster and hit harder... it's marketing.
Dialing for bullet drop is relatively easy, the bigger issue at hand is wind drift. I've always said 400 yards separates the men from the boys.

JD338

I agree with you Joe. Long range shooting/hunting is where it's at these days. I think it started ramping up when Leupold introduced the B&C reticle. The average guy, who doesn't shoot 300+ yards is now thinking he can.
Enter the high BC bullets, they shoot farther, faster and hit harder... it's marketing.
Dialing for bullet drop is relatively easy, the bigger issue at hand is wind drift. I've always said 400 yards separates the men from the boys.

JD338
Agreed. The vitals get really small when they are 400+ yards away. Judging wind drift is much tougher for me than elevation. Gravity is constant, wind is not. Give me a good backpack as a rest with light wind and I’m pretty confident. Stiff gusting wind with a spindly rest and I let them walk. I carry a bipod that doubles as a walking stick now. I poked a 4pt a few years ago at 334 yds with a 308. That’s the longest shot I’ve taken in 10-15 years. Only reason I took the shot then was because it was the last day of my hunt and perfect sunny morning conditions. Even at that it busted me standing dead center in a power line cut. Lol.

JD338
Wind and enviromentals are key the futher you go out. A good ballistic calculator is a must too.

in regular hunting bullets , BC is not much of a concern to me . I agree it's the marketing , everyone thinks they need the plastic tip , high BC , slick profile bullets . I never feel handicapped hunting deer with Hornady old school bullets . some are boat tail , others are flat base . it's a whole different story in my long range rifles , I want all the BC I can get .

I’m kind of left scratching my head when watching a hunting show and a fella has to dial for a 200 yard shot. With most cartridges’ MPB range, you’ll typically only be a few inches low at 300 yards. I understand precision shooting applications and have done plenty of dialing in competition myself, but there’s something to be said for simplicity when hunting and getting off a quick and accurate shot has filled a lot of freezers.
V/R,
Joe

I’m kind of left scratching my head when watching a hunting show and a fella has to dial for a 200 yard shot. With most cartridges’ MPB range, you’ll typically only be a few inches low at 300 yards. I understand precision shooting applications and have done plenty of dialing in competition myself, but there’s something to be said for simplicity when hunting and getting off a quick and accurate shot has filled a lot of freezers.
V/R,
Joe
Once again, it's marketing. They are promoting their sponsors scope capabilities.
FWIW, most of my rifles are zeroed for 200 yards. I'm covered out to 300 yards without having to dial the turret.

JD338

on my normal hunting rifles I use a 200 yard zero . some hunting rifles I have the Boone and Crockett reticle , it works out well . I don't think anything could be simpler than the B&C reticle . I've taken deer in the 450 - 500 yard range using it . other hunting rifles I have a duplex reticle , with a 200 yard zero . I lay the reticle on a deers back at 300 yards , this works out to about 350 yards and covers 99% of the normal hunting shots . on my long range rifles I use a 100 yard zero and dial for everything .

Jim,

Just to be clear, my post above wast not meant to disrespect hunters or the B&C reticle. I was referring to the guys that take 400 yard shots at game but have seldom shot or ever shat at targets to verify their rigs or themselves.

JD338

Jim,

Just to be clear, my post above wast not meant to disrespect hunters or the B&C reticle. I was referring to the guys that take 400 yard shots at game but have seldom shot or ever shat at targets to verify their rigs or themselves.

JD338

JD , I didn't take it that way at all . I was just making a point that you can " accurately " shoot 400 or 500 yards without even twisting a turret , by using the B&C reticle . the B&C reticle is really not much different than having the " CDS " custom turret marked out in yards . I always liken the B&C reticle to a 4 pin archery sight .if you've used that type archery sight you can use the B&C reticle . range your distance , use the proper aim point , and shoot .

I'm with you on your other point too , guys need to practice at these distances , and be honest with their selves on what distance they can shoot accurately from in field positions with buck jitters . all these companies make it sound like it's so easy if you buy these couple items . probably the most important , and the only things you can't buy is practice , and experience .

Agree with you, guys. A simple way I read and tried is called shooting the duplex. Using the duplex reticle in a Leupold with standard calibers such as 270,308,30-06 and such I sight in 2 ins high at 100 yds, will be dead on at 200 yds. Hold on top of the back in the hair at 300 yds and put top of the bottom post on the shoulder area at 350 yds. Has worked several times. Anymore that's about as far I want to shoot. Dan.

Back