8mm ballistic tip recovered from a tree

Doole

Beginner
Nov 28, 2016
Found this in a tree after some testing.
Fired from my 8x68S at 3160fps
Hit a tree at about 75 yards
749dee695d34dc671b34c5ab6574dcce.jpg
c80321a2d9830bae325b97dca318f98a.jpg
ae4e185510296f25b886350b2bbe17bf.jpg

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Wow, that is pretty danged amazing. Lotsa jacket on that sucker..

That 8x68 is a wicked cartridge.

That is very encouraging. I haven't looked at the Ballistic Tip in my 8X68S, but I may have to give it more serious consideration. To date, I've focused on the 200 grain and 220 grain A-Frame and the 180 grain E-Tip. However, that is very good performance from the Ballistic Tip.

That's real darned good. I have seen the bigger Ballistic Tips (and even the smaller ones) with thicker jackets do real darned well. Around here I think we think of the BT as a light duty bullet, but if you compare the jackets on them (thickness) to other bullet brands they are very thick for the most part. I have never heard a bad thing about the 200 grain Ballistic Tip for the 338.. Might have to load some up one of these days.

Have you taken any gave with that load?

I just ordered two boxes of the 180 grain BT for my 325 WSM and the 8X68S. Should be here next week. I'll work up a couple of loads this summer.

SJB358":19mh2aav said:
Have you taken any gave with that load?

Believe me I have tried. I bought the rifle about 8 months ago for night hunting wild boar in sweden.

I usually shoot about 5 boars in one year after buying a gun just for that purpose I haven't shot a single one [emoji23]

a3a41ca79af4dd0b58b78cca9dbc825b.jpg

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Tell ya guys - the later Ballistic Tips are far tougher than their internet reputation...

Doole - that looks great!

Guy

I don't reckon you can get much better than that mushroom period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load the 200 AB for a friend's (actually 2 friends) 8x68 and they are awesome!
The BT is basically the same bullet without the bonding
It might be a cup-and-core bullet, but if you cut them open you see it is not 'a normal one' with the jacket gradually thickening.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Impressive. The Hunting Ballistics Tip bullets are pretty tough bullets.

JD338

Oooooh, a lefty Sauer!

That rig would be just the ticket in a tent camp in grizzly or brown bear country!
Or for that matter, even in polar bear country .

I've taken some game (deer, moose and mountain goat) over the years with the Ballistic Tip bullets in smaller calibers (6.5, 270 and 7mm) and they performed very well. (Never did try them in the heavier calibers; having mostly used the Partitions instead.) But have pretty much used the AccuBond since it came out, as I found it to be more consistently accurate in all of my rifles and the on-game performance has been awesome.

Back