8x57IS 150gr. Horn Interlock vs. Whitetail

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Back in the Summer, I developed a load for my Sauer 100 Ceratech 8x57IS. I conducted a jug test with successful results and I finally got to put the load to work on a couple deer this fall.

8x57IS
Hornady 150gr. .323" Interlock
Lapua Brass
Federal 210 LR Primers
48grs H4895

Shot distance was 73 yards and the deer was facing directly away from me. I hit the spine near the base of the tail. I live by the "get 'em on the ground, eat whats left over" rule. Actually didn't ruin as much meat as you would think.
73RtFf.jpg

tQW8tq.jpg

This doe I shot back in October at a distance of 237 yards with the same load and bullet combo. I didn't take any post mortem shots but it center punched her in the ribs and left about a 50cent piece hole in the rib cage. She traveled about 50 yards after the shot before expiring.
uMuvXf.jpg

Since we like to keep it civilized here, I'd better not say anything about shot selection...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Certainly a classic cartridge. It looks as though the bullet worked to perfection.

noslerpartition":1wmtmbml said:
Since we like to keep it civilized here, I'd better not say anything about shot selection...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I won't argue with you about the shot angle/selection. I'll just say it was immediately terminal and the deer never moved. I'll reiterate that this was the only shot I had and i felt confident in making it. Given the choice I'd much rather have a good broadside shot but this was not an option in this situation and waiting would've resulted in no shot at all.

I just posted to allow other readers to see the terminal performance of this bullet if it were to strike heavy bone like the spine. I'm in no way attempting to spark a debate with you or anyone else.

I have always liked the 8x57JS but all I have ever fooled with are military rifles from various countries. I could not get the accuracy out of any 150 gr bullets that I wanted. With Sierra 175s, Nos. 180 BT, 200
AB, Sierra 200 MK is another story. The Sierra 175 is a deer hammer also. Never shot one with the others.

1Shot":1e2yhj69 said:
I have always liked the 8x57JS but all I have ever fooled with are military rifles from various countries. I could not get the accuracy out of any 150 gr bullets that I wanted. With Sierra 175s, Nos. 180 BT, 200
AB, Sierra 200 MK is another story. The Sierra 175 is a deer hammer also. Never shot one with the others.

The Sierra 175gr Pro Hunter is on my list of bullets to try, but I haven't picked up any yet. I also have some Hornady 170gr SST, and some Speer 170gr Semi Spitzers, some Nosler 180gr BT, and some Nosler 200gr Partitions to try as well. I tell my dad all the time, I have more bullets to try than I have tags to use.

Back