200gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
Went shooting today to finalize my load in my 338-06. H380 powder for 2778, four shot SD of 2.2, exceptional accuracy. It was about 45 at best, by far one of the warmer days we've had so I figured it's close to hunting season temps, figured I'd give it a go. Berm was frozen, found this sitting on the mud and ice behind the target. Weighs 98.4gr, should preform extremely well.

558d11865fbf818bad71fa0e0dd56062.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That did pretty good all things considering. I have read they are kind of like a monolithic bullet with a bit of lead in them. Looks like at least half the weight of the bullet is jacket and 50% weight retention is abot the worst they will do.

That looks pretty good. There should be enough mass to push through about any game you might want to tackle.

I was definitely surprised by the 50% weight in the jacket. Add in that these are essentially one holers and I should be good to take down anything in front of me.

thatguySHM":1kmv9iws said:
I was definitely surprised by the 50% weight in the jacket. Add in that these are essentially one holers and I should be good to take down anything in front of me.

I’ve never used one for Elk but the 200 Accubonds are wicked Bullets as well. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for them on SPS.

I got the NBTs from SPS, they just seem to be ones they hadn't been sent for Lubalox yet. I have a supply of 180, 200 and 225 Accubonds also, but I wanted something that will shed some weight for deer. If I ever get out west to hunt elk I will probably go AccuBond over NBT but you never know.

thatguySHM":3r9b3cpi said:
I got the NBTs from SPS, they just seem to be ones they hadn't been sent for Lubalox yet. I have a supply of 180, 200 and 225 Accubonds also, but I wanted something that will shed some weight for deer. If I ever get out west to hunt elk I will probably go AccuBond over NBT but you never know.

You should do great with Ballistic Tips for deer and it does shed weight unlike the thicker jacketed Accubonds.

TackDriver284":12oqf1qo said:
thatguySHM":12oqf1qo said:

You should do great with Ballistic Tips for deer and it does shed weight unlike the thicker jacketed Accubonds.

I’d bet a buck the 200 BT are exactly the same as the AccuBond sans bonding.

SJB358":319x160j said:
TackDriver284":319x160j said:

That was my thought exactly. 100 grain jacket is perfect.

SJB358":1s7hyhag said:
TackDriver284":1s7hyhag said:
thatguySHM":1s7hyhag said:

Wow, I must be wrong. I thought the Ballistic Tips sheds more weight than the Accubonds. Reason was the Ballistic Tips kind of expanded violently leaving bits of jacket and lead on the opposite exit side leaving a huge hole unlike the AccuBond which left a slightly bigger thumb sized hole.

They will, since the lead isn't bonded to the jacket. Just assuming they use the same jacket, just don't spend the time/money to bond the jacket to the core.

All assumptions, so they very well could use a totally different jacket, I just wouldn't bet on that being the case.

Fall of 2016, shot a black bear with my 30-06 using the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

The core exited, but the jacket was hung-up in the off-side hide and weighed 73 grains.

The one I fired into the water-filled on-gallon milk jugs weighed 112 grains, and had some lead remaining.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=18211

I'm a fan of the Ballistic Tip, particularly for deer-sized game. It seems to work real well. I suspect the AccuBond version is simply a bonded Ballistic Tip.

Regards, Guy

The 200g BT is very popular for elk where I live and there is a lot killed here. They seem to make an elk very sick if accidently hit in the paunch and they don't go far. Plus they do a great job of breaking bone at any range.

A friend took a quartering away shot on a bull just under 100 yds w/ this bullet @ 3,040 velocity at the muzzle. Entered far back on the right side, punching forward thru the digestive machinery and braking the front left shoulder ! .338WM of course. That amount of penetration surprised me.....

Back