250 Oryx - 35 Whelen est 2627fps

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
Ran an oryx 250 grainer into jugs yesterday. QL predicted 2627fps. It busted a hole in #7 but was still in the bottom of #6. It weighed 223.6 for 89% weight retention. frontal area measured 0.750, pretty impressive looking bullet IMHO.

DSC_0781.JPG

DSC_0868.JPG

DSC_0867.JPG

DSC_0862.JPG

DSC_0856.JPG

DSC_0853.JPG

I believe the Oryx will get the job done.

Another excellent bullet for the big 35s. That is great weight retention and penetration. Guess I'd better get some of these loaded up before fall.

lanman":1k0tw8sj said:
6mm Remington":1k0tw8sj said:
That's a beast!

I agree, It would be some Bad medicine for an Elk.

or a moose, big bear or African plains game.
That is a keeper for sure.

JD338

That's awesome performance!..I've killed 3 Moose with that bullet in 270wsm, and I have the 300gr version in my 375 H&H, mine have also been very impressive when ran into the jugs.

Great bullet, good choice!

Lou

WHOA! That is the first time I have seen the pictures full size! Very impressive Dano! Your right, that would be a stomper of a bullet on elk.. That is some serious frontal area. Very nice!

I was so impressed with the looks of that bullet, thanks for testing it by the way, I used it this year in my 35 whelen and can say with 100% confidence it's a stomper on elk. It's now my go to bullet for elk in the timber. It's also a very accurate bullet.

That’s a good report Bill. Sounds like it crushed him. Any recovered bullets?

SJB358":hus4p9ac said:
That’s a good report Bill. Sounds like it crushed him. Any recovered bullets?

Not much of a report Scotty. 40 or so yard broad side shot, heart lungs. Stumbled / ran 10 or so yards and piled up. Oh yes it crushed him, I've never had a heart lung shot go down so quick with elk. No recovery of the bullet. I might even keep this rifle which goes against my norm of once I kill a bull I sell the rifle.

Been wanting to step up to this bullet in 320 gr in my 9.3x62. I dont believe I've ever heard anyone complain about performance from the oryx line of bullets. Seems to be very highly regarded by the african hunters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":7a210q8c said:
Been wanting to step up to this bullet in 320 gr in my 9.3x62. I dont believe I've ever heard anyone complain about performance from the oryx line of bullets. Seems to be very highly regarded by the african hunters.

That would be opening one big can of whoop azz on any elk, bear, T rex, or anything else for that matter. I animal isn't much of a sample but I'm sold on them to be certain.

Cleveland48":1wec3i66 said:

Should be killer. I made it to the back of the 8th jug with the Woodleigh 310 in my Whelen AI.

5shot":ztmll205 said:
Cleveland48":ztmll205 said:

Should be killer. I made it to the back of the 8th jug with the Woodleigh 310 in my Whelen AI.
I dont really need that much to shoot deer in Mississippi lol. Doesnt hurt to try though. I've never even captured one of the 286 gr PPU soft points from a deer yet.

Hey nice bullet and performance! I have recovered two original Barnes X bullets from elk over the years. A 200 grain X and a 250 grain X from my 35 Whelen AI. Both of them had a frontal diameter of . 74", basically the same as the 250 gr Oryx. Both strong quartering shots that diagonally traversed the elk to be caught by the hide and found when skinning. 200 grain weight retention and 250 grain weight retention, 100% on each. Well over a dozen X/TSX/TTSX bullets exited never to be found, so finding one or two is the rare exception rather than the rule.

What would be the practical advantage of the 250 Oryx pushing the same frontal diameter as either of the X bullets mentioned above, given complete penetration and exiting of the bullet?

Cheers!

Cleveland48":7yjpo89a said:
5shot":7yjpo89a said:
Cleveland48":7yjpo89a said:

I dont really need that much to shoot deer in Mississippi lol. Doesnt hurt to try though. I've never even captured one of the 286 gr PPU soft points from a deer yet.

Cleveland, I've had similar experience with a 286 NPT from my 9.3x62.
Complete pass thru on every hog and deer from all angles - Never found a bullet.
Goes straight thru any all hide, bones, cartilage and muscle.
Hole size in, 1-1/2" round hole out.

First time I have seen the Oryx bullet expanded; looks like it will do the job!
May have to try that one in my 9.3x62 (286gr) on moose and bison.

Back