350 gr Woodleigh Weldcore SN

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Just placed in my order, should be here next week :) ..Gonna run 1 into the jugs @2300 fps, from 10 yds,
any bets on how many jugs?..stay tuned :twisted:
Lou

That's a lot of mass, and a real high Sectional Density...

I've never run the Woodleigh bullets. Noted for lots of expansion, deep penetration or both?

When you add 50 grains of bullet weight over the well established 300 gr bullet (that has competently taken cape buff, elephant and anything else you care to name) you're getting a Very Big .375" bullet!

Looking forward to this test!

Guy

Can't wait to see this monster come out of the jugs!

I am betting you'll get at least 7 jugs and probably pull a monster bullet with a good looking frontal area from what is left of the jugs.

The 250 Weldcore from the 348 Winchester was picture perfect.

Scotty, I used Norma loaded ammo for this test buddy, man they really make some darn good stuff :)

The results are in,
Lou

Shot today with my Sako Bavarian .375 H&H from 10 yds (yah, me and my rifle got a shower, :shock:

350 gr Woodleigh SN, 332 grs (95%)
Expansion .846" on the high end, and .798" on the low end,
This bullet was caught in jug #8 and almost got into jug #9 cracking the back of #8 and front of #9, overall I'm very impressed with this bullet and rank it right up there with the very finest of the bonded bullets made today. I well use this bullet on Black Bear in 4 weeks time :) ..Lou

SJB358":3pclnzk5 said:
That bullet looks MEAN! That'll open up a black bear.

Scotty, I find this bullet very, very similar to the Norma Oryx, lots of expansion, penetration, and weight retention.
Lou

Nice results Lou. 8 jugs is a keeper.

JD338

Very cool stuff Lou. That bullet looks a little different than the Weldcore I ran but the result is the same. It has some excellent Frontal Area and seems to penetrate far. I can't imagine that hole plugging back up!

I am looking forward to hearing about the bear hunt. Seems like that rifle should deliver a very noticeable blow.

SJB358":3c8e6vjy said:
Very cool stuff Lou. That bullet looks a little different than the Weldcore I ran but the result is the same. It has some excellent Frontal Area and seems to penetrate far. I can't imagine that hole plugging back up!

I am looking forward to hearing about the bear hunt. Seems like that rifle should deliver a very noticeable blow.

Thanks Scotty, if I recall correctly, I think that yours and Gerrys were Woodleigh protected points, vs the RN SN version in my .375, I believe both versions have the internal splitting zones though.
Lou

I think I'm pretty much done testing the .375" bullets for now, I want to do some more tests with my 7mm rem mag, I've done a few so far, but I well be testing the 156gr Norma Oryx in this chambering, I'm not a high B.C kinda of guy, and it really doesn't mean a whole lot to me, unless your shooting beyond the 300 yd plus mark, then it becomes a whole different story.
Here's what I've tested so far with the .375 H&H.

From left to right,
350gr Woodleigh RN SN
300gr Swift-Aframe
300gr Nosler Partition
300gr Norma Oryx
260gr Nosler AccuBond

Very nice Lou. That is a bunch of capability for sure. Each of those bullets look darned good for a whole lot of hunting. Shows how versatile the 375 is too..

I am with you, BC is not how I pick my bullets either. I want bullets to "act" right when hunting, the BC helps in some cases, but most of my hunting has been under 300 yards with a very few over that.

SJB358":2mpu3s0l said:
Very nice Lou. That is a bunch of capability for sure. Each of those bullets look darned good for a whole lot of hunting. Shows how versatile the 375 is too..

I am with you, BC is not how I pick my bullets either. I want bullets to "act" right when hunting, the BC helps in some cases, but most of my hunting has been under 300 yards with a very few over that.

I feel the same way Scotty, all of my hunting has been under 300 yds as well, all the bullets I've tested all shoot well under 1" groups @100 yds, so it's kinda hard to pick one, yes they all well work just fine, but at 50 yds I think the Woodleigh well be the best performer out of the bunch, it well hit real hard, expand fast, and make a massive wound channel, I just returned from the range to confirm my zero with the 350 gr Woodleigh's and 300 gr Oryx, the Woodleigh's are printing zero @50-100 yds, and the Oryx is exactly 2.5" high @100 yds and zero @200 yds. The 300 gr Partitions have the same POI as the Oryx and A-frame out of my rifle, no need to re sight if need be. Now all I need is one big bad Bear! :wink:
Lou

All you need is that 260 AB for everything. Save your money.

Back