375 H&H AI - 260 Partition - 7 Jugs

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I was fireforming some cases for the big gun and got bored just shooting the paper off hand over the sights. Since I had about 10 jugs I decided to line them up and see what the load would do. It's right out of the Nosler manual, 71 grains of RL15, 260 Partition, RP cases, CCI250 primers. Pretty easy shooting load really. Anyhow, here is what it looked like.

Pretty danged good weight retention as well..

I think it went about .680"ish for expansion..

After I shot it into the jugs, the next 5 I put over the Magnetospeed to see what it was clocking for speed..

Just like I thought, nothing but a 35 Whelen! :mrgreen:

Anyhow, the cases are coming out nicely now though. I am shooting 5 and scrubbing the barrel back to bare steel in preparation for Dyna Bore Coat. These rebores always seems to grab onto copper really heavy, so I am trying to get ahead of it on this one. Much better after the first 30 rounds and now after a light scrubbing with JB's and some CU2 it is cleaning up real nice. DBC should make it that much better.

And here is the finished product....

That ought to be a real flat shooting Elk round Scotty.
I was wondering why you went with the Ackely version but then remembered it had been a 300 Bee and that was the only way to get it to clean up the chamber.
Either way I like it and you won't have to worry with trimming after the first time.

My 375-358STA will shoot 250 Sierras at 3080fps with 89grs of IMR4350 in a 27" barrel. That is far from a 35 Whelen. I killed 5 or 6 elk with it.

IdahoCTD":1j1vpj3i said:
My 375-358STA will shoot 250 Sierras at 3080fps with 89grs of IMR4350 in a 27" barrel. That is far from a 35 Whelen. I killed 5 or 6 elk with it.

I was just kidding. Mines a 26” barrel so I’m probably pretty close to you. These were just FF’ing loads to get some brass.

Glad 4350 works. Was planning on running it. Got a ton of the stuff.

R-26 might scream in it since the bore to case size ratio is similar to a 300wsm. The 260's have quite a bit longer bearing surface and tend to run 50fps slower or so.

Still, the bullet performance is classic. Can't see much standing up to it. By the same token, not much stands in the way of the 35 Whelen, now that I think of it.

They are a hammer on elk Mike. I can't remember an elk going more than 10ft when shot in the vitals. I hit one in the ankle at 650yds that I had to chase for 3/4 of a mile but I got him with another shot to the vitals.

BTW, when did Scotty get a 375 rifle???

I missed that whole thing until now!

Guy

Guy Miner":1xzzcqc7 said:

Guy
Oh I don't think you missed anything Guy. He just put the horse before the cart :grin:
He will probably tell you about it in another post.

Guy Miner":1210zi2p said:

Guy

You gotta be quick around here Guy.... :mrgreen:

Back