200 grain Nosler at 1,300 fps

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I don't have much good to say about it... I'm a little irritated at the whole 10mm hunting bullet selection right now (all brands)... So I'll just post the pic and give the facts.

1,300 fps impact velocity

Fragmented in the first jug, left most of the lead petals and all of the copper in the first jug.

The lead core stopped in the 5th jug.

One thing I have to say... I believe this would be a far better hunting bullet if were bonded... Constructed lightly, as it is, but bonded.

This is NOT a 1,300 fps bullet as it is now...

What are you using to get 1300 out of it? That’s danged fast.

I’ve seen the Nosler’s do the same as what you’ve pictures. That lead core doesn’t look horrible though. Bet a buck deer would hate it?

I’m running that same bullet from my G40 with 8.2 of Longshot, Starline and CCI300’s.

I think Speers 180’s are where it’s at for a beautiful looking Bullet that would hurt deer and bear.

Cool test, thanks for putting it up.

Ridgerunner665":28h5spfg said:
7 inch KKM barrel... And a hefty dose of Accurate #9 powder.

Got it! That makes some more sense now.

Great looking rig. I dig my G40 as well.

I really should put the reflex sight on it. It’s gotta be a blast.

And man is that truckin! WOW

I wanted to use the 200 XTP all along, but couldn't find any last fall, when I needed them.

After this test today, I looked and they were in stock... I ordered 1,000.

That should last me a while, I only use this for hunting.

The 200 XTP, being slightly longer than the Nosler, tops out at 1,305 fps with .2 grains less AA #9.

Ridgerunner665":1ybsr82a said:
I wanted to use the 200 XTP all along, but couldn't find any last fall, when I needed them.

After this test today, I looked and they were in stock... I ordered 1,000.

That should last me a while, I only use this for hunting.

The 200 XTP, being slightly longer than the Nosler, tops out at 1,305 fps with .2 grains less AA #9.

Never tried the 200 XTP. Might have to look into that one. Thanks for the heads up on it. Again, I feel pretty good getting around 1200 from my stock gun, but 1300 from the 7 incher is pretty danged cool. Serious gun.

How does your gun shoot at the 50 and 100 yard mark? Have a good time this weekend shooting a bunch of 44 Mag and 22 LR pistol at 100 yards with 240 JSP's and 250 cast bullets at 100 yards. Turned in a few 6-8" groups with them pretty easily from the prone.

I'd love to run the G40 out at distance. Right now, I think I need a taller front sight though, since the 200's are hitting about 7" too high on the target.

Most of my distance shooting has been 150 yards, that is where my range has the first set of steel plates (12" x 12")...

I can generally hit those plates about 7 out of 10 tries... I can't help but laugh a little to myself when I see people get up and leave because they're missing it more than I am, with a rifle.

On paper at 100, from a solid rest (Elmer Keith position, sitting against something solid, pistol clamped between my knees) it'll do 6-8 inches.

At 50 yards... Ha... That's head shots on anything much bigger than a rat.

Bullets/loads don't seem to matter much, it has shot everything I've tried about the same.

None of the above would be possible, for me, without the red dot.... Very small, 2.5 moa red dot.... No iron sights I've ever seen could be used the way the red dot can.

You can hold over the target, and still see the target.

I don't consider this a 100 yard capable hunting pistol, fine for targets at that range... But not hunting.

I do consider it a 75 yard hunting pistol...

I just wish one of the bullet companies would get off their behinds and make a 200 grain bonded jacketed soft point bullet for the 10mm.... Expansion velocity window of 1,300 fps, down to 1,000 fps... Such a bullet would expand out to 150 yards with a 1,300 fps muzzle velocity, and 115 yards for 1,200 fps muzzle velocity... And stay in 1 piece to penetrate.

A hunting bullet... Not a self defense bullet...that would work nicely in any 10mm with at least 4.6 inches of barrel...

Federal came close with their 180 Trophy Bonded... Right idea, just a little too light for my preference.

Back