Cutting Edge 190 grain copper solid

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
This bullet is EXACTLY as advertised, EXACTLY.

Recovered after penetrating 16 inches of solid ground/slate rock...impacted at 1,275 fps.

Notice all the machining marks that are still there, indicating that this bullet has very little bearing surface...there has been no copper fouling at all so far.

The lack of bearing surface didn't let the highly compressed charge of Accurate #9 get up a full head of steam...13.5 grains is all that will fit without pushing the bullet back out, I seated one at 14 grains but it immediately pushed the bullet back out to 1.274".

I'm gonna see what Power Pistol will do next...I believe I can safely get it to 1,350 fps.

The meplat is right at 31 caliber by the way....this bullet pretty well qualifies as an LBT style bullet, that meplat being about 78% of caliber.

I doubt need to move it any faster to have a very effective, deep-penetrating bullet.

Looks good!

Guy

I have Longshot and am going to see what it does also.

So far, with both 150 and 200 grain bullets it has performed much like Power Pistol... Same charge weights, same velocity.... With a little more extreme spread.

It appears that to get real 10mm speed out of Longshot you have to exceed book data by quite a bit, and many are doing that.... I'm just not so brave with a pistol, as most often the first indication of dangerous pressure is a blown up pistol and stitches in your hand.

My can of Power Pistol is over 10 years old, the Longshot is only a few months old... Figured I'd try the older powder first.

Ridgerunner665":2su1cggx said:
I have Longshot and am going to see what it does also.

So far, with both 150 and 200 grain bullets it has performed much like Power Pistol... Same charge weights, same velocity.... With a little more extreme spread.

It appears that to get real 10mm speed out of Longshot you have to exceed book data by quite a bit, and many are doing that.... I'm just not so brave with a pistol, as most often the first indication of dangerous pressure is a blown up pistol and stitches in your hand.

My can of Power Pistol is over 10 years old, the Longshot is only a few months old... Figured I'd try the older prefer first.

Makes complete sense to me. I use Longshot for the 180's and 200's in my Glocks and have been lucky getting near book speeds with their charges, but my lot is probably 5 years old at this point. It is pretty accurate for me..

Mostly big deer, hogs, and this damn bear that is being a nuisance around the house (in the trash, getting the dogs worked up, getting a little too brave around people)...I basically intend to use it like a WFN hard cast bullet.

And the occasional engine block that needs to be busted...

Example of big deer... Hoping to put this one in the freezer this year... This pic is over a month old, you should see him now.

I guess they should act like a cast with that meplat cutting!

8.4 grains of Power Pistol = 1,177 fps

8.4 grains of Longshot = 1,178 fps.

No surprise there, that they matched.... Every load I've tried with those powders is grain for grain, fps for fps.

I have a few rounds loaded with 8.9 grains of Longshot to test next.

Summary.... Using any other 190 grain load data with these bullets is safe....VERY safe.... Like about 25,000 psi with max listed load safe... I've used Lee and Alliant data.

Remember, I'm using a 7" barrel.

After those 8.9 grain loads mentioned above, I fully expect to have to venture into unknown territory with these bullets, they don't build pressure like other bullets, I'm leaning towards using 180 grain data with them, carefully.

I'm measuring case head expansion, I figure thats the most reliable indicator of pressure I have at my disposal.

8.9 grains of Longshot = 1,243 fps.

Still no case head expansion, but based on the appearance of the cases I am just getting into the proper pressure for the powder to burn like its supposed to.

Primers say the same thing, they're looking like the primers on my 12.6 grains of AA9 with 200 XTP loads.

9.2 grains of Longshot = 1,285 fps....a smile on the brass, and some case head expansion.

Looks like that's as far as Longshot will shoot.

I think before I buy a pound of powder, I'm gonna try AA #9 with magnum primers...

50 mag primers doesn't cost much to try.

So far, nothing has come close to the speed I got with #9.

Back