Kimber TLE 10 mm question

Brinky72

Beginner
Jan 25, 2019
Just looking to see who has one and your experience with the pistol. I’m looking into a 1911 style 10 mm for a retirement gift for myself. I have just over three years to go to figure it out. My reasons for a 1911 10mm are simple. I like the way a 1911 packs. Even in a full size configuration it’s slim in comparison and carries nicely. 10mm? I appreciate the horsepower as this will be on my side in bear/wolf country. I have carried sidearms a large portion of my life so a 10mm is not too much gun for me as I’m experienced with heavy loaded 44’s and such. Looking for what to expect out of the Kimber as far as performance and quirks if any. Never owned one but have shot a few. I have heard that they can be “tight” when new and have a break in period.

Brinky72
Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. The Kimber is a very nice pistol. Can't speak to the 10 mm but I do have a Tactical Pro II in 45 ACP and she shoots lights out. Never had any problems other than having to replace the springs. My daughter and wife used it to qualify for their CPL class and they each shot a single ragged hole group at 7 yards which impressed all the other students and the instructor.
You are going to love that Kimber!

JD338

Thanks JD338. I had similar experience when I shot my buddies 45. I put the entire mag into one hole from the 15 yd mark. I think it was one of the compact carry models. I’d suspect a longer slide would make it a little easier to shoot accurately even in 10 mm. I’m planning on having this as my primary carry when I’m bouncing around the woods in the Upper Peninsula. It should make a good partner on a trout stream or checking bear baits.

I have only ever owned one 1911, and did a lot of research and trying various makes and models before buying one.
I went with the Kimber Custom Carry. I liked the dual tone and crimson laser grip. Should have bought the TLE II version I originally intended to get, as the rounded back of the grip at the bottom did not fit my hand as well as I had hoped for (hadn't been able to try one with that grip configuration). Sold it to a friend with smaller hands. Did not regret the Kimber, just got the wrong grip.
The biggest factor that sold me on the Kimber was the accuracy and quality.
As a big fan of the 40 S&W, I think the 10mm would be a nicer choice than the 45 acp.
I think I would go that route with a new pistol too.

I’m no expert, but I’ve also researched 1911 10mm’s. I’ll be interested in where this goes. I had my “finger on the trigger” so to speak on a Ruger SR1911 10mm but self control got the better of me.

10mm and a 1911 goes together like peas and carrots. And in a Kimber even better. I own 2 Kimbers now and quality and accuracy are exceptional. It will be my next 1911 for sure. I too want the TLE II but the long slide target is calling to me but being a 1911 purist that fiber optic front sight would have to go. I walked away from a great deal on the Ruger SR1911 in 10 because of my experience with my Kimbers. They are offering the eclipse customer in 10mm as well but its a few c notes more than the TLE.

A friend bought the Ruger 1911 model when they were first introduced and less than $700. He likes it a lot. And that is OK too.
Told me I was nuts for buying the Kimber when I did. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions! LOL
Fit and finish seems fine on his, but it definitely does not feel like the same quality when you cycle it or shoot it.
Did not know that Ruger wasofferingit in the 10mm. But haven't kept up on the handguns much of late.

And of all the videos on shooting performance of 1911's you can find on-line or that I have seen in tv shows, nothing has come close to equalling the accuracy of the Kimbers, and that includes custom guns from the likes of Baer, S&W and others. They seem to test at 7 yards mostly. Kimber tests at longer ranges, including 25 yards.

I’ve looked at and handled the Ruger 1911 variant in 10 mm at the local Cabelas and it feels OK and would likely serve the purpose well enough but, it just doesn’t feel as good in the hands. I’ve shot Kimber 45’s and know they shoot and that familiarity and confidence is what will sell me on the TLE.

My only experience with Kimber is a buddies Commander sized .45. It’s real pretty. He can shoot it well, but he is a brute. My son and I both shot it, multiple failures to feed. I’ve never had that with my series 70 Colt Commander or any of my plastic pistols. Left him scratching his head.

I’ve read lots about the 1911 not being the best platform for full power 10mm due to inadequate lock up surface.

I came to the conclusion that I would buy a Glock, which are uncomfortable in my hand, or the new Springfield XDM 10mm. The former recently endured a brutal torture test. https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/sa-x ... ound-test/

I’ve yet to hear about any 1911 10mm manufacturer offer to duplicate this.

I own 2 XD’s already. I think they would work poured full of sand. Plus they really are comfortable in the hand.

In closing, I too really like 1911’s. If I were looking for bullseye accuracy with .40S&W powered loads, I’d be more inclined. For me, I carry for things that bite and want it to work 100% with Buffalo Bore ammo.

Brinky72

Where about are you in the UP?
I hunt south of Ispheming.

JD338

JD338":214hr16y said:
Brinky72

Where about are you in the UP?
I hunt south of Ispheming.

JD338
I live just north of you off Berrigan/M57. I hunt Baraga County all over

Brinky,

At the risk of not helping at all, I can say that I have zero experience with that particular platform/ caliber combination. I have shot a friend's Kimber in 45 and found it to be reliable, accurate, and well put together - however, he did report it was a bit picky with what it would feed, though I do not know if that would apply to what you are looking at.

I do have a 1911 in 10mm, but it is a Rock Island something, something (insert acceptably cool marketing words here). The stiffest loads I have fired from it are 155 and 180 grain Hornady XTP. Both fed and fired without incident, though in limited quantities. I did find that they shot to significantly different points of impact.

To your goal of a carry piece in the woods: I purchased mine for a similar reason; I wanted something I could carry for the woods and then in town with just a change of magazines (and more concealable than my 44 mag) - the point of impact thing sort of did that in for me, but I might find something which will do the trick.

Hope some of my ramblings helped.

edit: If you are worried about firearm life and round count, take a look at another post on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37888

Came across a used Kimber Eclipse Custom II in 10MM for a good price and have worked out a deal with the owner.
Looking forward to when it arrives and trying it out!
Going to have to try some of those Buffalo Bore 220 gr flat point cast bullet loads.
Watched a hunting show where they were using them on Cape Buffalo at 25 yards, breaking both shoulders and recovering bullet under hide on far side. Now that's some pretty awesome penetration!

Have also read articles where hunters have hunted cape buffalo with 45 Long Colts with 5 round cylinders loaded hot, and crawling into 5 yards for the shot. Of course, these hunters are backed up by professional hunters with double rifles.
Sounds like more adventure than I would prefer to experience; but what a hunting adventure for those who have!

No need for hunting Cape buffalo with it that’s for sure. It is nice to see the resurgence in interest in the caliber. I’m still not decided on the platform yet but it’s going to be a thing when I retire.

Back