Hard Ball Ammo

Handloader
May 30, 2009
Anyone here still carry hardball in their 1911?I've got about a thousand rounds of it.It is very reliable,and should be very effective.

I shoot 230 gr hard ball in my Kimber for target shooting only. My carry load is Federal 230 gr HST.
45ACP230grHST.jpg

45ACP230grHST-1.jpg

JD338

It's great for practice! I shoot it often, but for duty & self defense I carry the more modern, high-performance hollow point stuff, like JD338 does.

We did carry 230 gr FMJ hardball as duty ammo for a while when I was new on the job, and of course we carried it in the military. It really doesn't have that great of a track record as a fight stopper. Lots of penetration w/o inflicting all that much damage on the way through.

Guy

Guy Miner":1xag7dfi said:
It's great for practice! I shoot it often, but for duty & self defense I carry the more modern, high-performance hollow point stuff, like JD338 does.

We did carry 230 gr FMJ hardball as duty ammo for a while when I was new on the job, and of course we carried it in the military. It really doesn't have that great of a track record as a fight stopper. Lots of penetration w/o inflicting all that much damage on the way through.

Guy

The FMJ hardball is really worthless in a 9mm.I can see how the round nose wouldn't do much good on transferring energy.I will check out that Federal law enforcement ammo at my local dealer.I guess it is for sale to civilians.
Any ideas for distributors that might have it in stock?

I have a large gun dealer close by. I will call him tomorrow and see if he has it.I also need some .38 special 125 grain gold saber.

I just practice with it and carry corbons. That said many a bad guy hve given up the ghost to 230 ball.

JD338":3ipdtmpd said:

Ammunition to GO is where I bought mine but its hard to get these days, expensive too.
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php

Guy is right, if you are going to carry, you want a fight stopper. I think the Federal HST is just that.

JD338

They are out, and my dealer doesn't carry it.That is a good site for ammo though.
What kind of Buckshot do you fellows use?

Remington 870 12 ga 3" Mag with 00 Buck. And every BG knows the sound of a 870 being racked. :twisted:

JD338

JD338":cbzni4am said:
Remington 870 12 ga 3" Mag with 00 Buck. And every BG knows the sound of a 870 being racked. :twisted:

JD338

Seem that alot use 00.
I have always liked #4 Buck( 41 pellets to the shell)
I put a load of that over the top of some night hunters that shot in my yard.
They left in a hurry and I haven't seen them since.The sound of those blue whistlers got their attention. :lol:I did hear them muttering some curse words as they left. :grin:
I don't want someone coming after me with a 12Ga anything, because they are going to hit you somewhere. :wink:

#4 Buck is good close, 00 Buck up close or 50 yds away.

JD338

I use a full choke.The #4 will kill a good distance with that.BB's are also bad to the bone.

JD338":i9qzllwq said:

JD338

Yeah !!!
Nothing says GET OUT like a pump 12ga
I have a mossberg 500 and I alternate 00 buck and slugs in the magazine.
The BEAST is the one on top.

BB.jpg

old #7

go ahead, make my day.....punk. :lol:

JD338

I don't want anyone shooting at me with a 1911.I don't care what it is loaded with. :wink:

.405":8bkou7p4 said:
I don't want anyone shooting at me with a 1911.I don't care what it is loaded with. :wink:

Ask the Japanese, Germans, Koreans, VC and other victims if you can find any live "victims".

War is hell.

JD338":39zk1jxx said:
old #7

go ahead, make my day.....punk. :lol:

JD338

I like you so I'll give you a head start. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How would you spell that sound..............?
chuck, chuck........AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! RUN!!!

Back