CCW pistol choices

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
Gentlemen

I'm getting ready to go for a CCW permit and I need some advice on carry guns and holsters. I currently have a Cold delta elite 10mm, a S&W ultra light alloy J frame, a Star 40 S&W in Starvel (brushed chrome) finish. It's the first sub-compact 40 3" barrel and 7 shot. Nice but built heavy and tough. Nice to shoot but maybe heavy??? also a S&W 41 mag 4" Titanium type.
I've been looking at the Kimber Ultra Custom Crimson Carry ll 3" barrel and the Pro Crimson Carry with 4 " barrel. both in 45 ACP two tone. I don't care much for the blocky plastic guns (no offense to you Glock and other really nice plastic handgun owners) just personal prefference. I figured if I went full size I would use the Delta Elite. (It's blued).
The questions are: Should I use what I got or get a different gun for concealed carry? Or a combination of guns.
What's the best all around pistol for concealled carry with at least 40 cal?
:? Oh yeah! and what holsters?
I love this sight and all the good info we can find here :grin:
Thank You
Greg

The 3" is nice and short but I found I like the 4" best. You don't gain that much in concealment gong to a 3" from a 4". The accuracy and lower recoil of the 4" greatly make up for the extra inch you will have to conceal.
the crimson trace laser grips are a great addition to the night sights.

here are my Kimbers
from the top
Elite carry (only 1200 made) 4"
Ultra CDP II
Ultra carry with crimson trace.

kimbers.jpg

They sure are. As soon as I saw one I knew I needed to have one. Or maybe 2.
So it's the 4 " and you think the lasergrip is worth it.
Thank You Old #7.
Dr Mike, you stay up on whats new and good. What are your thoughts?
Thanks again
Greg

Greg,

I have the Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP. The form, fit and function are perfect for me. I have a Crimson Trace laser grip and it is dead on, from a rest at 30 yds I put 2 8 round clips into one ragged hole!
KimberTacticalProII45ACP-1.jpg

My holster is from Eric Larson at HBE Leatherworks in Salt Lack City, UT. Its a IWB Tuckable and is very comfortable to carry.
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII-1.jpg

HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII.jpg

JD338

POP":3d9odkq2 said:
kIMBER 45 ACP 8)

I agree with the others. A Pro Carry would be my pick. I carried a Pro Carry concealed for 7 months and really walked lop sided when I came home and didn't have a pistol on! Either way, stick with the Kimber and maybe handle a few to see what you like. Kinda like trucks and woman, everyone has a different taste, but I do think you would be happy with the Kimber in a 45! Scotty

Laser grips are definately worth it.
I am going to pick up a set of rosewood colored laser grips for my Elite Carry someday.
I have found that the laser grip really lets you see whats going on while you are pulling the trigger. I think the laser is a goos tool to learn trigger control.

Greg Nolan":btcw94qc said:
I'm looking and touching. So many choices :wink:

Greg,

Start with the Kimbers, you will cut to the chase. :wink:

JD338

Thanks Jim

I'm studying the California legal handgun list. Most of the Kimbers are ok except the crimson trace models. I have two handguns for sale on gunbroker now to pay for the new one.

Greg Nolan":2ikpkvx4 said:
Thanks Jim

I'm studying the California legal handgun list. Most of the Kimbers are ok except the crimson trace models. I have two handguns for sale on gunbroker now to pay for the new one.

You can buy the grip seperate from the gun. :wink:

old #7":qy90svap said:
Greg Nolan":qy90svap said:
Thanks Jim

You can buy the grip seperate from the gun. :wink:

old #7 is right on. The Kimber Full Size or Pro series uses the Crimson Trace LG 401.

JD338

Another nod for a Kimber in 45ACP.

I've had a few 1911s over the years and currently own two.
One is a 5 inch steel TLEII,the other is a Pro-Carry II.It has a 4 inch barrel with an alloy frame and has become my favorite carry pistol.
Over 2500 rounds through the TLE and nearly 500 so far through the
Pro-Carry, never a failure to feed fire or eject.
Damn nice trigger right outa the box to boot.

Here in Texas it gets a tad warm in the summertime and I routinely carry either one wherever I go.Shorts and a T shirt are the bulk of my summertime attire and a 1911 will easily dissapear with a GOOD belt and a GOOD IWB holster.

Don't skrimp on leather.
Also,hard to beat Wilson Combat 1911 magazines.

Howard

Back