Kimber Custom Classic Value

Frankb

Beginner
Jan 14, 2010
What should I expect to pay for a Kimber Custom Classic (Series 1) in 95% condition with night sights over 10 years old and an ambidextrous safety? Everything else looks stock. It is supposed to have 1000 rounds down the barrel.

Frank, I heard the original Kimbers fetch a premium, but I don't know what that means in actual figures. Mine is what, somewhere around 95% or so? :grin: It's a first year Kimber that's almost pristine as you can see... My poor ol' beat up gun. :(

IMG_3931.jpg

Should have bought two or three back then, and stuck one away as an investment... I'll see if I can find a price on a Series I somewhere.

Guy

Beretzs - yeah, well, once upon a time it looked pretty good... Sigh... A while ago a young lady looked at my beat up old 1911 and with a disgusted look on her face she asked "That's a Kimber?" I about cracked up. At least it still shoots good.

Frank - looking around a bit, I found various Series I Kimbers listed at $875 - $1500, with the expensive pistols all being really nice, higher grade Kimbers.

The way you described the one you're looking at, I'd think it would sell in the $800 - $900 range.

FWIW, Guy

As an update, I let the Custom Classic sit on the market a while and then I bought it. Thanks for the comments. It has a 4# crisp trigger and it has never been in a holster. The over 10 year old MMC night sights are completly dead. They shoot 4" high for me. What night sights should I replace them with size and brand to get it to shoot point of aim off of the top of the front post?

Well congrats! Should be a great pistol for you. Mine has been stone reliable, and is still accurate after a bunch of shooting.

I'm not sure which sight you're going to have to use to get it shooting dead-on for you...

Guy

Mine shoots to point of aim. I have the Heinie "Straight Eight" tritium night sights which have an unusual sight picture, one dot above the other, instead of three abreast. I like the Heinie sights.

http://www.heinie.com/index.php

Different shooters have different ideas of the perfect sight picture. What's perfectly zeroed for me may shoot high for you, or low. No way to know unless we shot the same gun, at the same distance. I might pick up your gun and have it shoot dead center. You might pick up my gun and hit high with it. Who knows?

I would recommend contacting a sight maker, like Heinie, and letting them know the problem you've got and the height of your current front sight. They will likely have a suggestion for a new height front sight.

Best of luck, Guy

Guy Miner":wbrlpbss said:
Mine shoots to point of aim. I have the Heinie "Straight Eight" tritium night sights which have an unusual sight picture, one dot above the other, instead of three abreast. I like the Heinie sights.

http://www.heinie.com/index.php

Different shooters have different ideas of the perfect sight picture. What's perfectly zeroed for me may shoot high for you, or low. No way to know unless we shot the same gun, at the same distance. I might pick up your gun and have it shoot dead center. You might pick up my gun and hit high with it. Who knows?

I would recommend contacting a sight maker, like Heinie, and letting them know the problem you've got and the height of your current front sight. They will likely have a suggestion for a new height front sight.

Best of luck, Guy

Guy a LEO buddy just gave me a set of straight8s that I put on the wife's Glock 22.
I like the width of the rear sight but I'll be damn if I can see both dots in the dark.
He couldn't see them either. For the first time in twenty years he boloed night qual.

Guess I'm too used to the three dot meprolights on my TLEII. :mrgreen:

Howard

Back