Kimber in for a checkup

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My high use/daily carry Kimber is at the smith right now for a checkup.

I do the routine maintenance, but every couple of years I take it to my buddy the super-duper 1911 smith, and let him give it a good once-over. Since deer season starts tomorrow, running nine days, and I have that whole time as vacation, this is a great time for the checkup.

The pistol hasn't needed much over the years. Re-staked the plunger tube a couple of times. Several new sets of grips as they wore out. A lot of new recoil springs and firing pin springs. Normal stuff. This time I'm a little concerned about the hammer face, it's getting pretty beat up from smacking the firing pin. Time for another set of grips. Who knows? He may find something else that needs attention.

IMG_3931.jpg

I give that 1911 a lot of care and cleaning, but I think it's a good idea to get another set of professional eyes on it every couple of years. It goes through a lot of hard use.

Meanwhile I'll carry an old .357 S&W revolver instead. Kind of fun for a change. Nostalgic even...

SW357.jpg

Guy

Very cool Guy. We tortured our Kimbers at Det One and couldn't make them look bad. They just kept shooting and shooting without fail. Seems like your is really like an old pair of boots though. I haven't seen many pistols that haven't been through WWII that look that used, and I mean that in the nicest way possible from a fellow Kimber shooter.

Oh, if you wanna try a pair of grips that won't wear out and are very grippy, try the Stryder Scalloped grips. They are 2nd to none and you can soak them in CLP and still get a grip on them. Scotty

Back