Kimber won't lock open

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
My BIL's Kimber Ultra will not lock open after the last round if fired. Any ideas?

I love my CDP Pro and have had no hiccups at all with it. But you get on line and when guys talk Kimber there sure is a lot of negative stuff being said.

What has been your experience?

Long

Have him try a couple of different magazines first - that would be an inexpensive fix if it works.

If operated slowly, by hand, does the slide lock back on an empty magazine, when the slide is just pulled back?

Sometimes "tuning" a 1911 is an art. My Kimber has functioned virtually flawlessly for 14 years and many tens of thousands of rounds, but it's a full size 5" model.

I agree with Guy, try a different magazine first.

My Tactical Pro II has been flawless operation to date.

JD338

No the slide will not stay back when manually opened. It was fine when he bought it (used).

Thanks

Long

longwinters":iyzzyzbb said:
No the slide will not stay back when manually opened. It was fine when he bought it (used).

Thanks

Long

do you have an EMPTY mag in it . the magazine is what pushes the slide stop to hold it open when empty . Jim.

With my Ultra, it was the recoil spring that was broken. It locked the entire gun up and I could not disassemble it either to fix it.

Hi ya,
Check the slide stop. Is it battered & not hitting the mag maybe? Was it bought from an action shooter like IPSC? A lot of them file the slide lock down so the 1911 will not go into slide lock.

Regards,
Chris

I saw a brand new Colt Gold Cup last summer, never fired that had 0.020" loose breech on it. I wasn't impressed. I have an older Kimber Ultra Carry that's rock solid.

As far as this OP's 1911 goes, if mags aren't the problem, could be just too negative of an engagement between the slide and the release.

Back