Kimber Pro CDP II

brianwyo

Beginner
Oct 4, 2010
I have been drooling over this pistol for about a year. I called my local gun shop this week and was told it would take 6-8 MONTHS!!! Is this normal? I want one even more. Gunbroker & Gunsamerica here I come. Brian

They are pretty sweet Bryan. I don't think Kimber makes a bad pistol. Scotty

I found one in a gun shop about 480 miles from where I live. Happened to be heading down that way so they held it for me. Absolutely love it...but they are a bit pricey. They also told me that for another model I was interested in 6 months.

Long

Brian, I love mine, it shoots well and functions perfectly with most anything I feed it. Can't go wrong with a Kimber.

Brian, just be aware that the first Yonker's NY, hand fitted, Custom Shop pistols, stainless steel, S/N <2500 do not shoot in or break in and/or settle down even after 5000 rounds. Mine even went back to Kimber for a new extractor, polishing and refit of the entire interface of slide to frame, burst Mepro sight capsules and it never did shoot a full mag of any brand ammo or brand of magazine (including Chip McCormick) without stove piping. I got so disgusted with it that I took a $500 beating to never have to see that Kimber again or put my life on the line with it ever! I had this pistol for (9) long years

The second one that I bought at the same time, I gave to my son and it jammed at least once every magazine for a year and he sold it after a cougar tried to jump him up on Saddleback Peak trail in the High Cascades, he missed and the Kimber jammed, first shot with 230 Winchester ball ammo! Six different Kimber magazines did not feed in either pistol. I switched to McCormick magazines and others and it would still stovepipe. Mine was an Officer's model and it broke guide return springs like my 1985 Jimmy 4WD ate wheel bearings.

I had to run mine so dripping wet with oil to get it to cycle at all, that it stained all my leather and my clothes with gun oil! My $400 .380 S&W Bodyguard is more reliable than either of my $1200 (bought in 1991-92) Kimbers were, both of them! I have said this before but it went into the ozone! Military guys often do not believe what cilivilians tell them, even ones who shot a .45 Auto on a sanctioned Army pistol team complete with Armorers present for 500 rounds a day. Just be careful what you are getting if it is used.

Charlie, that is one bad experience. I can't say the same for my Kimber. I've shot a "lot" of rounds through my pro-carry and haven't had a problem. My buddy puts 5000 rounds through his match kimber every year and has not had any problems. Most of the members on this forum seem to have good luck with their kimbers.

Charlie,

That is really bad. My experience is just to opposite. I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II and its flawless in feeding and ejecting.
Kimber must have fixed their problems.

JD338

Sorry guys I forgot about this old post. I did track down my Kimber last Feb. I put 50 rounds through it last month. No problems at all with multiple different magazines. I am not a very good pistol shot but somehow 1911 pistols do well for me. Brian

Attachments

• Kimber.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 4,339
big rifle man":1k28d9pu said:
Charlie, that is one bad experience. I can't say the same for my Kimber. I've shot a "lot" of rounds through my pro-carry and haven't had a problem. My buddy puts 5000 rounds through his match kimber every year and has not had any problems. Most of the members on this forum seem to have good luck with their kimbers.

The one that I gave my son was a Pro Carry Aluminum slide and Commander frame, 4 inch barrel but it was a 2001 model which was pretty early in Kimber production, just after they opened the Yonkers plant. I broke it in and shot maybe 500 rounds through it. The slide started to gall when my son received it and never was reliable again.

"either of my $1200 (bought in 1991-92) Kimbers were"

"Pro Carry Aluminum slide and Commander frame, 4 inch barrel but it was a 1991 model which was pretty early in Kimber production, just after they opened the Yonkers plant."

Kimber 1911's in 1991 - 1992 ?

I believe they were introduced in 1997 - when I bought mine. Could be wrong... Doubt it.

Opps, excuse me, senior moment. I bought both of them in 2001, not 1991! Old age is not kind sometimes.

Wait until you are almost 70! Working as an engineer, I had pretty much a photographic memory until I got Hypoxia. Been a little weird since!

Back