beat up "old" Kimber

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I jumped on the Kimber wagon right away. Bought the first one I saw, in 1997 and am still carrying it. Every day, rain or shine, this thing gets carried in the boonies, in the city... It's been banged into stuff. Has had the snot shot out of it. Hard to say how many rounds through it, but a bunch.

I'm a firearms instructor and was on SWAT for eleven years, most of that time carrying the Kimber. It has hardly ever bobbled - and then only with shoddy lead bullet reloads that I hadn't properly sized.

Kimber45.jpg

The only modification I've made to it are the addition of Heinie "straight eight" night sights. I've worn out several sets of internal springs, and also several sets of grips. I've taught a bunch of people how to shoot, using this pistol - and it never fails to deliver. Quite a few folks elected to buy a Kimber after trying this one too - maybe I should ask for a new one from the factory since this one has sent some business their way?

Great "old" gun after 9 years of service, and I think I'll just keep right on carrying it! A fellow should remember that prior to Kimber, most of the stuff found on today's 1911's had to be added onto a Colt or Springfield, piece by piece, by a gunsmith. Kimber changed all that, coming out with an affordable, good shooting pistol already equipped with stuff like beavertail grip safety, good sights, beveled mag well and a surprisingly tight slide-to-frame fit. Now, many different 1911 makers offer the same features, but it was unusual when Kimber brought out their affordable, accurate handguns, decked out with the most popular modifications.

Regards, Guy

I had a buddy of mine that bought a Kimber(don't remember the exact model) in I believe, late 1996? I remember being very impressed. I finally bought a Kimber 1911 last year, the PRO TLE/RL II. It shoots very nice. Does well with the Federal 230 grain Hydrashok as well! :twisted:
Very nice handguns, in my opinion(and this from a GLOCK guy!!) :shock:

While at Det One we had Kimber make a run of Kimbers for us as our duty CQB weapon. While waiting for those, we used Springfields for our first weapons and tactics package. The Springfields were nice, and shot well, but they were more of a desk officer gun, meaning, they were so tight, fouling and dirt would bind them up very fast.

Mind you, during our packages, we shoot about 500 a day, along with our primary weapon, and the pistols get rolled into the dirt and are generally pretty filthy. Once we got our first issue of the Kimbers, we were a changed group, they disasembled alot easier and shot just as tight. They are similar to a TLE. Through three years of shooting packages, and a combat deployment, they never let us down, ONCE. We had about 100 of them, and they are excellent. Since Kimber was already tooled to make our issued pistols, they actually offered to make the same version to be bought by us. The have the "property of US Govt" on the side and a special serial number saying Det One - XXX. They gave us a very good deal on the pistols and about everybody in the Det bought one. Anyhow, I am sold on Kimbers Pistols. They shoot better than most shooters can hold and are as reliable as anything I have seen to date.

So if you see some Kimbers with a Det One XXX serial, you now know where it came from. Scotty

DetOneOutfitted.jpg

KimberDetOne.jpg
[/img]

Here is my carry gun, Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII-1.jpg

JD338

Scotty, I did not know that you carried a Kimber for duty. I have a ProCarry II (my son has it now) plus an Eclipse Ultra II Custom Shop.

The Eclipse has been fired maybe 2000 times over the past 8 years and has broken one recoil spring. Kimber replaced the spring and my Meprosight capsules for free. They also stoned a couple of high spots on the slide, set the sights and test fired it. Fixed it and returned it in less than a week. The gun runs much more smoothly and reliably now. Before, it would fail to battery once on a while.

Yup, carried Kimbers for quite awhile. Also carried the MEUSOC model 1911 for awhile. Overall, the Kimber 1911 45's have been the best carrying weapon I have ever carried for service. Plus, the one I own personally has been flawless. Scotty

They build some very excellent handguns, and I am sure their rifles are good to. Their pistols were tight, and shot really well, but not so tight they became match guns that were difficult to field strip and maintain. I would buy another one if I had to. Scotty

Scotty -
Nice to know that you aren't having to carry the Beretta 9's. I carried the old 1911 for the years in the Corps when my MOS was 0331. You didn't have to be too accurate; if you hit them anywhere they were going down :lol:

Yeah, the rest of the Marine Corps carries the M9. I have been lucky enough to only have to qualify with it. Which is retarded easy. Your right about the 45. If you poke a 45 cal hole through someone, they kind of lose their will to fight most of the time. Kinda like taking a hit in the nose. Most don't know how to carry on after that! Scotty

IMG_0059.jpg

A more recent photo of my poor ol' beat up Kimber! Those are the "new" grips! :grin:

I keep trying...

Thinking about getting another one, and getting this one refurbished. Then again, I kind of like the beat-up/battered look.

Guy

I woukd like to see a worn out Kimber and until I do, I stand by the statement that Kimbers are the best investment in a 1911 the average Joe can buy. If anyone can prove different, I am buying beer at Tun Tavern. Scotty

I knew a Marine would catch that. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family also Guy. Scotty

Glad to hear of your great experience w/ Kimber. Like you, I bought the first one that I saw when they first came out. Sadly I had to sell it and a few others to raise some dough shortly after getting it. I sure wish I could get another for what I paid for my 1st one.

Me too. We paid 750.00 for our first ones! That was a deal at the time in 2003! Scotty

Back