Handloads for Self Defense

Mas Ayoob is one of the best writers to study self-defense shootings. He's authored several books on the subject, and has testified in court many times on "shootouts." The guy knows his stuff.

Anyone who keeps a gun handy for self defense should at least read his book "In the Gravest Extreme." It's getting a little old, but the basic concepts are still true. Plenty of good examples in that one and his "Case Files" about actual self-defense shootings, and the legal aftermath.

If you shoot someone in self-defense, you should fully expect to be arrested, interrogated, and searched. Expect your gun(s) and ammo to be seized as evidence. You may very well have shot in pure self-defense, but the police and the prosecutor still have a duty to treat it as a homicide when they investigate. They can't just shrug their shoulders and accept your version as factual when there's a dead guy in your living room. Everything you did prior to, during and after the shooting will be questioned.

After the legal process with the authorities is over, or perhaps while still underway. Expect to get slapped with a wrongful death lawsuit from the family of the poor fellow you killed. Despite the fact that he was a convicted felon intent on bending a crowbar over your head!

Again, your choice of weapon and ammo will come up in court. Along with any training you have received, or perhaps should have received. Everything will get examined, and the attorney acting on behalf of the family of the poor slain fellow will do everything he can to make you look as evil as possible.

If your gun and ammo shout "look at me, I was lusting to kill" then you're probably in for a harder time. There are some darned fine factory loads for self-defense, and I'm confident in them, along with my personal firearms.

If you carry for self defense, or keep a gun around "just in case" do yourself a favor and read some of Mas Ayoob's works. Do some research. Get some training. Just in case.

Regards, Guy

Handloads are definately a no-no. As well the name of the ammo you buy can come into question. Keep in mind that the people on the jury will probably know nothing about guns or shooting at all.

A Black Talon was nothing but a black hollow point. No big deal here! But the name was what got it nixed. The same thing is still sold today simply under a different name.

I think the best thing out there for both protection and name is the Cor-Bon Safety Slug. I mean come on what is the problem people I shot him with a "safety" slug. You were trying to be as safe as possible. And honestly the thing penetrates properly transfers energy as well as possible and expands like there is no tomorrow.

HydraShocks are great rounds too but ask yourself how that would sound to a person who has no idea about anything having to do with guns. Powerball is another great round but the name just doesn't bode well. I realize that this all sounds stupid but to a jury perception goes a long way. Using something with a benign name gives the lawyer trying to put you away one less thing to attack you on.

No handloads for me. Guy is pretty much spot on!

Better off this never happens to you. :shock:

I have read pros-cons on hand loads for SD. I carry factory Federal HST or Winchester Ranger loads.
This is what my local police department recommended. :wink:

JD338

Good to know.

I guess I'll have to spring for some factory stuff and empty my current Golck mag into a hillside somewhere.

Wow - we brought this thread back from 2006... :shock: Zombie Post? :mrgreen:

Don't take my earlier post wrong - I don't know of a single case where anyone got into trouble by carrying or shooting handloads. Just a caution to avoid looking like some kind of crazed killer out for trouble.

A gun dealer wanted to put a "Punisher" emblem on a Glock that was going to one of our officers - both as a joke, and a token of respect for the man. I nixed that idea instantly. We don't need any of our cops running around with Punisher, Deaths Head, Nazi symbols, black widows or any of that sort of thing on their handguns or other gear...

I think it would apply to the junior atom bomb handloads some guys would cook up. We've all heard about putting mercury in the tips of hollow points and that sort of stuff. No thanks. I'll just carry good, factory produced handgun and factory loaded self-defense type ammo. One less thing for some attorney to attack.

Regards, Guy

Wow, I never thought about this before. Some real food for thought. Maybe I could get Hornady to rename their Critical Defense load to Please Leave Me and My Family Alone

Very good post Guy. Too many times in other forums I have read/cringed at what advice has been given by "armchair rambos" and this is probably one of the most direct, correct (IMO), responses one could give.

Just to add a minor thought or go a step further. I was taught to:

1. keep the original ammunition box your self defense/carry loads came in, along with reciept of purchase.
2. write down on the inside of the flap the date you loaded your gun with them
3. lock that empty box inside your gun safe with the reciept.

That way if, if, if, if you ever have to use lethal force the prosecutor cannot go after you for being a trigger happy individual who quickly loaded his/her gun so they could go kill. It will be recorded that when law enforcement impounded your firearm/ammo they had to unlock your safe to get at the rest of the ammo or the empty box. Lot number is also on the box ( traceable to date of manufacture), all that is evidence to help you.

Does that make sense?? Or did I just mumble through it?

While this topic creates some good conversation and various opinions no one can point to an acutal court case on point. I have not heard of any cases, nor have the "use of force" pundits cited cases in their opines. Just a lot of "what if'n". You would think of the number of shootings that have occured in the past twenty years, what is the likely hood that at least a couple of them involved hand loaded ammo?

Hydroshocks, corbon, Win ranger and a plethora of good ammo out there. Reload for plinking and practice and hunting only.....Just to be silly!

Back