ideal velocity for plinking or paper shooting

Mark

Beginner
Sep 10, 2006
What would be the ideal velocity for paper shooting or plinking for the .45 and .38 Super?

Is fast burning powders best for this application like the W231?

Never seriousely worked with the 38 SUPER.

With the 45 ACp I would say about 750-800 fps with bullseye or win 231 (when power factor #'s do not come into play...

I shot different loads for the .38 Super with Unique, Bullseye and Blue Dot yesterday with 5 different bullets for each powder.
Results were the Bullseye is the winner with .356 diameter Remington 130 grain ball ammo. Load was 5.4 grains of Bullseye, rem. case, CCI 500 and Rem. ball 130 grain. Eight rounds fired from 15 yards made a ragged hole about 1 X 1 inch. It would be good enough accuracy for my pin shootout this Thursday night.

800 fps is perfect for 45 and many competition shooters load there for their competitions. You'll find that some pistols don't like this though. I have a P220 that will drive this stuff down range all day long but my Kimber 1911 compact has a slightly heavier recoil spring and a Bullseye load that brings a 185gr SWC to 800 fps just isn't enough to work the action properly. If you want to use this load with a Kimber you may consider replacing your recoil spring with something a little lighter.

For .45's I've tried Red Dot and W231. A mid-loaded .45 with about 5-5.5 grains of W231 seems to be my most accurate load.

Back