Case Extraction Question

Wondermutt

Beginner
Jan 6, 2012
Just picked up a Ultra CDP. Used. The gun is great except on extraction of the spent case. It throws the shell right into the safety glasses of the shooter. Tried different rounds and it does it with all of them. Non of my others do this. They extract the spent cases to the right a few feet.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks

WM

You should be able to fix this.

It's a .45? Very small and light?

Try these, in this order:

1. Grip the HECK out of it. Lock those hands. Lock the elbows. Lock the shoulders. Don't let that little turkey move in recoil. Make the slide work against the recoil spring.

That's the first step. With my cops I've told them to "hold it like you mean it." Amazing results have been achieved. The little guns are often very susceptible to problems, induced by what would normally be an okay grip, but with the little gun, it's inadequate. So try that first. It's free. And if you think you're gripping it tight enough, humor me and go all HULK on it. Give the grip & stance everything you've got. Often the empties start piling up over to the right, just like they're supposed to do.

2. Work on the extractor. It can be "tuned" a bit by bending it slightly. A little more bend, or a little less bend, and the empties will start piling up.

3. Do you think it's been fired much? If so, replace the recoil spring. That could help, but a stiffer, new spring often demands even MORE of the HULK grip/stance.

4. Some wizards can tune the ejector... I'm not one of those wizards. It's a different piece entirely from the extractor, for those who don't know.

Some 1911 info for you, most of which costs nothing to try. The little 1911's tend to be less forgiving of grip and sight picture.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I've owned about a half dozen or so 1911's and even had one as a carry weapon in the service.

That being said, the first thing I thought of maybe I was limp wristing it. I have a Springfield micro POS that will stovepipe in a second if you don't gorilla grip it. That is part of the reason I bought this was because of the temperament of the Springfield.

This is my 3rd Kimber, and the Pro carry has been by my side since '02 and thousands of rounds down its pipe and no issues. Same with my other Kimber. This is the first time I have had an issue with a Kimber. Not sure as to how many rounds this particular gun has had. He told me somewhere in the neighborhood of 1k. But it looks brand new.

I'm going to look into the extractor adjustment. When you say bend, are you meaning in towards the chamber, or out?

Thanks

To tighten it up...bend it towards the chamber.

To loosen it...bend it away.

Remove it to do the adjusting...bend the thin part...don't get carried away, a little goes a long way.

There's probably a video online these days, about bending the extractor.

Would have saved me (and my extractor) some grief years ago... :grin:

Thanks guys. I had my son look up some youtube videos and it shows what you are taking about.

Lots of good resources on this board! I like it.

WM

Back