185 gr Berry's Hollow Base plated bullets

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Ran the 185 gr Berry's Hollow Base bullets through my 5" .45 ACP Kimber, and a 4.25" Ruger 1911 as well.

1. They look just like 230 gr FMJ "hardball" ammo when loaded, but the bullets have a pronounced hollow base and are actually plated, rather than jacketed.
2. Loaded them all over 5.0 gr Bullseye and a standard CCI large pistol primer

5" velocity averaged 920 fps

4.25" velocity averaged 896 fps

Accuracy was good! :) Don't have any paper targets to show, we just shot them at hanging steel gongs, rapid fire. Went through 50 rounds FAST. Very few misses, only when we tried to shoot faster than we could, accurately. The 185's kick perceptibly less than the 230 gr ammo as well.

Paper targets, one of these days...

Regards, Guy

I will need to look for some Berry's Bullets here in Canada. I know I've seen them in the past, but don't recall seeing them recently.

Looks like they are some good affordable bullets Guy.

DrMike":2utvyptx said:
I will need to look for some Berry's Bullets here in Canada. I know I've seen them in the past, but don't recall seeing them recently.

It appears you can get them here, if I remember correctly you have a 45 ACP. Not sure if a semi wadcutter will work for your application.

http://www.x-reload.com/45-caliber-451-454/

Those Campro bullets look interesting as well.

Love the 185 gr Nosler JHP bullets for my .45 ACP, but was looking for a more affordable alternative. Looks like I may have found it. I'll have to do more shooting on paper targets to tell, but I think these things are good to go.

On the other hand I just bought a mess of Nosler loaded ammo, 185 gr JHP .45 ACP Noslers... From Shooters Pro Shop at a GREAT DEAL. I'll pick them up in Bend next week.

Regards, Guy

I just picked up some of those 185 grn Berry's, I'll be trying them with some ramshot trueblue powder. I'm interested to see how they do.

I've shot them in 9mm with no complaints.
I shoot both the berry's and rainier 180 grain HP over 5.7 grains of Unique in my .40 S&W.
More pleasant to shoot and cheaper than jacketed bullets to.

Back