With my .45 at the range!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
A buddy with a good camera caught me shooting my .45 1911. One of my favorite activities at the range!

It's great that he caught the spent shell casing in air!

Guy

Great photos. Always fun to have time at the range with favourite handguns.

Guy, that old 1911 has seen a few rounds through it. Is that the one you started with 23 years ago?

lefty315":25y8prya said:
Guy, that old 1911 has seen a few rounds through it. Is that the one you started with 23 years ago?

I've had this one 20 years, it's got about 85,000 rounds through it. A bit looser than when Kimber built it... :mrgreen:

Guy

85,000 rounds :shock: That is a darn lot of reloads, how many barrels have you put in that fine pistol? I have two Kimbers myself, a .45 and a .38 Super. Love em'

Most of my handloads were lead bullets, which I believe are pretty easy on the barrel.

The others were FMJ 230 gr "hardball" paid for by local area taxpayers, thank you very much.

It's still on the original barrel, but people are telling me that I need a new one...

Guy

The 85,000 number seems big, but is it really?

20 years. 4,000 rounds a year, there's 80,000 rounds. It's not unusual to put 300 - 500 rounds a day through the pistols during heavy training. A more normal day of training is 100 rounds.

Doesn't take long to get 4,000 - 5,000 rounds a year through a high-use handgun. Fortunately .45 handguns are a LOT easier on barrels than are high intensity rifle cartridges.

Fellow I know, a "cowboy action shooter" goes through 20,000 - 30,000 rounds every year... He loads .38 special for his revolvers and his lever action rifle. That's a lot of shooting!

Guy

I was fortunate enough to get a 1911, in a work deal. It's a Sig Saur Max Mitchell, in .45 ACP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW Too Tall, that is one fine 1911. It has all the bells and whistles that their match gun has plus a whole lot more. Nice score on that.

Back