1911 set... Hmmm...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Just an idle thought from a long-time 1911 owner/shooter... Got to thinking how cool it might be to own & use four 1911's, set up pretty much the same:

9mm
10mm
.45 ACP

Ya, I think that would be pretty cool. (y)

I've got a 1911-22, not a Kimber, really like using it for informal target practice.

Dad recently bought a 9mm Kimber 1911, and it's a sweet shooter. Hardly kicks at all in the 1911.'

The 10mm is a great cartridge and Kimber now chambers it... I'll agree with others that this could be a terrific pistol for the outdoorsman!

And the .45 1911 is simply classic. My favorite handgun to shoot.

Ya... A set of four... I like the idea!

Guy

It would certainly be cool to own such a set. I know that I have enjoyed the two Kimbers (45 ACP) that I've owned; and I've been giving serious consideration to picking up a 9mm.

DrMike":1kgfqf7z said:
It would certainly be cool to own such a set. I know that I have enjoyed the two Kimbers (45 ACP) that I've owned; and I've been giving serious consideration to picking up a 9mm.

Particularly in an all-steel 1911, there is very little recoil with the 9mm. It's easy to keep the sights on target during rapid fire. 115 grain bullets instead of 230 grain bullets...

Guy

Guy, not exactly what you're talking about but similar. A co-worker was a Special Forces guy for years. He had a 1911 he would carry. He then had another slide set up for .38 Super and another barrel and magazines for 9mm. Depending on what country he was headed to he would set it up accordingly. Same trigger and safety no matter the cartridge. I think he later did a .40, just because ammo became free:)

....and that 10 mm would make a great sidearm for mean critters in the woods!!!

I have a Springfield RO(45) and a Kimber Ultra Carry SS(9mm) 5" and 3" respectively. I will be adding a Commander length likely a Kimber Pro and am DROOLING for a 1911 in 10mm. Rock Island makes a 4.25 10mm but I'm not a fan. Ruger just released a 5" stainless SR1911 with target sights in 10mm. I am seriously looking at that one, Buds has it for $759.

A 1911 in 9mm? Unclean! Unclean! What's next, a 1911 double action? Cats and dogs getting along? :lol:

Okay, okay - I have a 1911 in 10m - a 5 inch Rock Island. It had to get returned immediately after purchase because every time the slide would come forward, it would eject the mag. Very nice single-shot pistol... Now it works just fine (y)

The wife has a 1911 in 45 - a 3.5 inch Para which has functioned flawlessly since day 1. And, yes, it's a "light" double action.

I could go for a 1911 in 22, but with all the legion of 9mm out there, I just can't bring myself to spending the money on one in 1911. I suppose if you just wanted a battery based on the platform, it would be great; just not my thing.

Back