New SIS....

270fan

Beginner
Dec 25, 2006
Just handled the new SIS at several different stores during the last week. It is the best balancing and feeling pistol I have held...BUT...... the SIS letters engraved in the slide to provide grip for cocking the gun look real fancy and are attractive but totally useless for providing grip to cock it with. I would like to have one but I can't live with the slide slipping through my hand when I try to cock it. Kimber needs to put usable serrations on the slide. It would then be a superb 1911 pistols. I really want one of them but the SIS letters do not provide any gripping ability on the slide. The store clerk said to "GRIP IT". I can't get enough grip to reasonably hold it to cock it. Sorry Kimber but you have goofed on this one feature of this otherwise superb pistol. You need to get busy correcting this weakness and you will have a top of the line pistol.

Anyone else tried this pistol and have opinions on it?

I have been shopping for a Kimber myself.
The SIS has a very nice feel but I'm going to be picking up a Tactical Pro II real soon.

JD338

As much as I like the SIS I got a Gold Match II. Can't live with the ineffective and slippery engraved SIS letters intended for grips on the side of slide.

I have a few Kimber pistols (elite carry, ultra cdp II, and an ultra carry II)
They are all great but, I recently purchased a Super Match II and that one takes the cake. It came with a factory target with five rounds shot at 25yds and all were touching.
I don't think you can go wrong with any Kimber hand gun. Rifles on the other hand don't have the strong reputation the pistols do.

Pop - your positive comments along with Guy Miners favorable comments are what got me looking at Kimbers to start with. I like the satin finish on the side of the slides of yours but I did not like the white diamond in the grips. If I had it to do over I would likely get one like yours and replace the grips. I love it so far. Shoots much better than I thought a 45 would.

old 7 - what lenngth barrels are on your Kimbers? Nice collection.

I have two 3" bbl's (ultra carry's) one is my wife's.
one 4" bbl (elite carry)
one 5" bbl (super match)

Congrats on your Kimber 270fan! :grin: I hope it works out as well for you as mine has over the past eleven years of hard use... My poor ol' Kimber needs to be refinished and generally spruced up...

Back