Kimber Pro carry II in stainless

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Need some thoughts from other Kimber owners. I recently purchased a Kimber Pro carry II in stainless with Aluminum slide. I'm using it for basically a carry gun and truck gun. Anyone have any experience with this particular Kimber. I'm going to handload for it and figure on stuffing it with either 185 grain or 200 grain hollowpoints. Thanks for any info.

This entire post is in My Humble Opinion.............

I don't believe you can ever go wrong with a Kimber!!!

For use as a carry or truck gun, I would find a factory load that it likes and use that. I would think an XTP, Golden Saber or HydraShock would be a good choice. There are many posts here about reloads and having to pull the trigger on a burgler that you may find interesting.

All that said. My CDP II likes the Hornady XTP 230's and 6 grains of Unigue. I never tested for accuracy, but pine cones at about 25 yards were no problem. I have found more fault in some bad clips than any ammo that I put through it. There was an article written by Wiley Clapp - The Essential Magazine - it was in The Complete Book of the 1911 - Published as a magazine in Feb or Mar of 2004 by Guns & Ammo - It is one of the most compelling articles about clips for a 1911 I have ever read.

Find a reload that is similar ballistacally to your chosen factory load for practice, plinking and the occasional bowling pin. Leave the factory stuff for self defense and I believe you willbe just fine..............

For self defense I'd go buy some premium factory loaded 230 grain hollowpoint ammo. Federal, Winchester, CCI/Speer and others all produce some really excellent, high quality ammo for the .45 ACP.

For practice, some good 230 grain FMJ ammo or 230 grain lead round nose ammo loaded to the same velocity as your self-defense stuff makes great sense. I like Bullseye for my .45 loads - nice crisp slide action, good accuracy. A fellow does have to be careful with Bullseye to not double-charge the case. That's bad.

Regards, Guy

Kimber is awesome!!!

Here is my 45

pix1345950234.jpg

I gave my son my SS/Aluminum Pro Carry and I kept the Eclipse Ultra. Bad decision, his pistol is still going and I sold mine because of SS galling which could not be controlled except by ounces of light oil.

I would buy the alum/SS Pro Carry again.

I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II and love it. Very accurate and a dream to handle. My target loads use W-W 230 gr FMJ or Rainer 230 gr bullets with WW 231. My carry loads are Federal HST 230 gr and WW Ranger 230 gr.
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII-1.jpg

IMHO, 45 ACP 230 gr loads is where its at.

JD338

I've had an Eclipse Pro II for eight years and really like it. Very reliable, accurate, fine trigger.

Love the Kimbers, like Guy/Jim said, any good factory load in the 230gr range would be magic in yours. I haven't ever had issues with the 230gr FMJ stuff to be honest, but if I could use expandable ammunition, so much the better! Scotty

Back