Multi-purpose autoloaders

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
Looking for suggestions here. I grew up shooting trap, so pretty much learned to shoot with trap grade shotguns, and used the parallel comb and trap style rib for all my shooting, whether it be trap, upland birds, ducks, etc... Over the years I began to shot trap less and less, so varied my shotgun style to shorter barrelled shotguns with field style combs, and noticed that my shooting degraded the further I ventured from a trap style shotgun. I find myself wanting to start shooting shotguns a bit more again (a little bit of everything -- trap, sporting clays, upland birds) and am thinking I need to go back to my roots and get a good autoloader with a parallel comb, 30+ inch barrel, and ventilated rib. With that in mind, I'm looking for suggestions on good, 12 gauge autoloaders set up with at least those 3 elements. I preferred "used" for cost reasons. Ideas?

Rem 1100 would be nice or a Win 1X I think that was the Win model number but not sure. The 1100 was one I used a lot and still own. But a Win model 12 pump was my all time favorite trap gun.

I think it was the Winchester Super X1 you're thinking of. Was a big hit in the early 70's when I started shooting trap with a Rem 1100. No personal experience with the SX1, but the 1100 was a good gun for me and is an option. The Beretta semi-autos (303, 390, 391, and current 400) are probably at the top of my list, as various models have adjustable combs, shims for changing cast and drop, adjustable ribs, etc... (Adjustability may be a big asset, as I seem to have a helluva time finding a shotgun with the correct fit.) I've never even mounted one of the Berettas though, so don't know much about them.

I've always admired guys that could shoot doubles in trap well with a pump -- unfortunately, I'm not one of them...

The Model 12 made it easy since you could slam fire it and it didn't have a disconnect. They made a .22 pump the same way I think it was a model 62.

I think Beretta used to make a parallel comb version of their 391 Sporting Clays model, though I may be thinking of the trap setup....

Interestingly enough, just picked up a trap gun this afternoon. Found a local Trap Grade 1100 with a high rib and recoil system with adjustable comb, so I'm ready to roll! It doesn't have the parallel comb I was looking for, but the comb does slide with the recoil pad, so that may serve a similar purpose. If not, it's easy and cheap to modify the comb for a parallel orientation, but will see how well I shoot with it first.
SANY0807.jpg

Back