20 gauge Recommendations

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Gents -

Have been spending more time shooting quail, chukars and doves lately and my drooling over the lightweight semi-automatic has not gone unnoticed by my lovely wife.

Long story short she asked me to "look into" what it would cost for a new 20 gauge.

I've got an old faithful Mossberg 500A 12 gauge that has been my go to for all bird hunting but am kind of in the dark where shotguns are concerned.

Between Remington and Mossberg (or any others worth mentioning) who is making the best auto-loading 20 gauges these days? Don't have a large budget but want one of these very badly.

Thanks for any and all useful comments or advice.

Benelli autoloaders seem to be among the favorites for hunters (particularly duck and geese) since they are "inertia" operated and don't fail due to fowling. Remington and Beretta autoloaders will be a little softer shooting since they are "gas" operated, but require a little more diligence in the cleaning department. I don't know much about Mossberg. I own and shoot a 12 ga Remington 1100 for trap and love it, and am currently setting up another 12 ga 1100 for my daughter to start shooting with.

I have the Winchester SX3 and have nothing but high praise for it, mine is a 12 ga but if I were looking for a 20 ga it would be an SX3. The SX3 comes with all kinds of shims to fit the shotgun to the shooter and that is important IF you want to hit your target with consistency.

Ive been shooting Beretta autos for years. Soft shooting gas guns and they just plain run. I have a 30" synthetic A390 that is going on 2500 rounds between proper cleanings. I dont usually abuse guns but now I am very curious to see how many rounds it will take to stop it.

375hh1973":3pw6ybhu said:
Ive been shooting Beretta autos for years. Soft shooting gas guns and they just plain run. I have a 30" synthetic A390 that is going on 2500 rounds between proper cleanings. I dont usually abuse guns but now I am very curious to see how many rounds it will take to stop it.

A LOT. My most used shotgun is a 12 ga Beretta 390 - what a gun... Shoots well, and apparently forever with very little maint.

Re the original question... I'm not sure. my only 20 ga is a side by side. SKB 200E, made for Ithaca.

Guy

BPS 20ga. The bottom eject takes a bit to get used too, but a very good 20ga pump. A 20ga 1100 with a rem choke barrel would also be a good choice.

Beretta .
390 or 391.
I had a Browning Gold and hated it. Very heavy for a 20.
Had an 1100 Lt 20 and wore it out in less than 3 seasons on doves.

Not much of a shotgun expert either, but recently acquired a Remington Sporting in 28 gauge and having fun with it so far for grouse, and look forward to using it on ptarmigan, chukar and Hungarian partridge. My wife also enjoys shooting this shotgun. She also picked up a Remington 870 in 28 gauge, but has not shot it yet.

I also found a Browning SS in 20 gauge with 26" barrels that I am waiting to try on geese, ducks and hopefully pheasant.

I've been seeing the ads in the hunting magazines for the new Ethos 20 gauge. Looks like a beautiful firearm. Have not yet had the chance to handle one.

The ethos is an outstanding shotgun, they are proud of them. I have shot several and love them. I have a Benelli ULTRA light in 20 gauge. At five pounds it is perfect for hunting chukar in that country where the dog gives you the " you really should know better look".

I would look for a Remington 1100 or 11-87. I bought a new 1100 "Skeet grade" around 1975 or so. At that time big dove shoots were the norm. A couple of times I've had that barrel so hot you couldn't touch it. Many years later I had acquired a couple of Browning Citori's so traded the 1100 for a Special Purpose Turkey Special 11-87.
Those old remingtons had stock dimensions that just jumped to the shoulder and tried to aim for you and the 11-87 had the same stocks. Out of all the shotguns I've owned over the last 50 odd years the 1100 and 11-87 were the best. I should have kept them all.
I bought a Browning Maxus which is basically the same as the Win. SX3. And while I like the gun, it is not the shooter in my hands that the Remingtons were. And that is after semi fitting the stock with the shims. I think the Brownings might be too heavy and the LOP may be too long.
I would look at the Browning Silver hunter, Micro Midas in 20 ga. It has a 13" LOP and weighs 6 lbs. 2 oz.
If you can't locate a good Rem. 1100 my other choice would be the Browning Silver.

I'm a bit late to this party but a Benelli Ultralight or Montefeltro is flat out a great shotgun. In twenty years you won't remember what the price tag said....

Heck, even a plain M2 in 20ga is going to be light and a great gun. My M2 12ga just takes a licking and keeps on shucking them out.

I'll second that Benelli M2 20ga. That's my pick for my son once he is ready to step up from a .410.

I have a Remington 1100 20 gauge that is built on the larger 12 gauge action. They stopped making them a long time ago. I've had mine for around 45 years and it still functions flawlessly and handles like a charm. The larger frame makes it a very comfortable gun to shoot even after hundreds of rounds. If you don't mind looking at used guns.

I own an 870 20 gauge use it for Turkey and dove. I am absolutely in love with a 20 gauge franchi affinity I will have one one day.

Back