I think the Moose is ready....

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Shot the "Mooseberg" today. New recoil pad and limb saver shoulder pad didn't help much.....OUCH :twisted: :twisted: :roll: but..... it shot well. Decided to simulate my hunting situation as much as possible so... I shot from the window of the rolling ground blind...

at a target about 75 yards away. First two shots were 1 oz Federal "trophy copper" (center bull), Should have gone for the clover leaf but didn't want to spoil that "group", :grin: Will save the remaining thre rounds in that box as mt hunting rounds for this year. Next, switched to a couple left over Federal "barnes expander" 3/4 oz'ers. 3inches high and spreading..... Last of my leftover slugs was a lone Hornady SST. I have three boxes of those as back up. You can see where that wnded up in the left bull. Time to pack up and go home. (y) Finally think I may have this thing figured out.... Fun! CL

Yup! That could work, Troy. The Federal load has performed well for me in the past.

Looks good Troy.
I have my 870 slug gun sighted in with Winchester Rack Masters.
They shoot very well and do a number on deer. Sue shot a doe last fall with it
and the blood trail was amazing for a short 40 yards.

JD338

Always wanted to give that a try Troy. I have the Mooseberg 500A bird gun and in my youth I shot slugs in it but never took her deer or hog hunting. Figured that big slow movin slug would DRT whatever it ran into.

Seems like you shoot this one straight enough to where you'll not have an empty freezer!!!

Good luck, nice gun. Thanks for sharing! :)

That should crumple any buck that runs by you buddy... Those 12 gauge slug loads are not fun shooting and I don't especially mind recoil....

SJB358":1wfcv2m5 said:
That should crumple any buck that runs by you buddy... Those 12 gauge slug loads are not fun shooting and I don't especially mind recoil....

"run by" was the operative word... Saw six does/ fawns run buy at 75-200yds. One decent buck at that range also on the move and partially above my "horizon line". ("...always aim at the dirt son"). So I elected not to pull a trigger. Those running shots are hard on my average anyway... :) CL

Back