Pheasant hunt

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
I have my first pheasant hunt coming up and was wondering which shotgun I should take. I have two Weatherby SA-08's. One in 12ga and the other in 20ga. The 20 has a 26" barrel and the 12 is 28". I love the light handling of the 20. Suggestions?

Also, what choke and load would be best?

I've never hunted pheasants, so my opinion isn't worth 2 cents.

But I'll go out on a limb and say whichever one you shoot best. I follow Ron Spomer's stories and photos; he is a big fan of the 28 gauge because it's light and fast handling. So I wouldn't think that it would matter whether you used a 12 or 20, just matters which one you shoot best.

Are you hunting solo, or with some more experienced pheasant hunters? If with some other guys, ask them what choke they use. From reading articles about it, most guys use an IC or Mod choke.

I'd love to try for pheasants some day, but they are so few in AZ that you have to put in for them like big game.

Sent from the edge of my galaxy

Z, I've been guiding pheasant hunters for the last three years, been hunting them for near 50. Last week one of the luepolds guys I was guiding used a 28 gauge for part of the trip. He is a superb shot but didn't take any long shots. He switched to a 12 after lunch. I see quite a few 20 gauge guns and my opinion is we get more crippled birds, I love using my Ithaca 20 and have killed quite a few birds with it. I like 12 gauge guns most, loaded with 1 1/4 oz of 5 or 6 shot. I generally recommend modified choke but have used full choke on occasion. Either way, you will have a great time

I went after pheasants in SD a few years back, using my only real pheasant gun, my 1960s Superposed 2 3/4" 12 ga O/u. Great gun, I must say. Missed the first 2 cackling roosters that got up, but after that it was a fine day. IIRC, the loads were 1 1/4 oz. of #5 in the top barrel and 6s in the bottom.

I need to go again, maybe somewhere locally this year.

Thanks for the replies guys. So, the 28" barrel should not be any hindrance?

Z, you'll be fine. While the 26 could be measurably faster the 28 then will give the tight flushers a chance to get out there a little bit so you don't blow them up. The longer barrel will serve you well if the birds are flushing wild or flying the gauntlet.
Hope you have a great time, oh and don't take cheap ammo. Spend the money for good stuff. Nothing like watching a load of sixes bounce off a pheasant.

I like my 12ga with a 28" for sharptails. Pretty big grouse and the live in open country.

I think letting them get out a bit before hammering them is a good idea. A bird that catches a full load of 3" magnum 6s at close range tends to turn into a cloud of mist and feathers.

20ga would work, but I think the 12ga is a better bet.

I've done quite a bit of pheasant hunting. My favorite pheasant gun is a 20ga S/S 26" barrels with ic and mod chokes. Unless you have a good dog I always like 4s because they break the legs better to keep runners from getting away.

The only time I step up to the 12ga was if it was raining or very cold out. In the 12ga 5-6s worked well.

I always used Remington express hi brass shells.

Pheasants are one of the things I miss most about living in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take both guns.
On days when the birds hold tight a 20 loaded with an oz of 5s or 6s is plenty of gun IF you put the shot charge where the bird is going to be.
It's also probably lighter and won't wear you out carrying it around.

Days when the birds won't hold or the wind is howling a 12 gets the nod.
Loaded with 1 1/4 oz 5s.

Chokes ?
IC if they're holding, Mod if they're not.

I prefer plated shot too. Doesn't drag as many fine feathers into the meat.

My person favorite pheasant gun is a 16 ga. Mdl 12 Winchester.
28 inch full choke. Carries like a 20, kills like a 12.

If I'm blocking the end of a field as it's being pushed, a 12 with Mod or IMod every time.

I have always used my 12 gauge for pheasant shooting either 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz or the 2 3/4" magnums with 1 3/8oz they seem to always do the job for me.
In late season which is in December I use the 2 3/4" magnums and also 3" 1 7/8oz for the 2nd & 3rd shot.
Pheasant are a fairly full feathered bird in December and it takes a bit to get them down.

Blessings,
Dan

Though the Pheasants are long gone from MD due to no till farming and bird flu introduced threw pin raised birds my favorite gun was a 12ga pump or my SS both choked full and full &full for the SS with 30" barrels. I used reloads and 7 1/2 shot 1oz 1/8th load at 1400fps more like a light magnum.

Well, was successful with the hunt. Ended up taking my 12g, but used another persons Benelli :)

EE2871CE-CC02-47A1-9C6D-F72CDFB08EAE_zpsoxszdcyp.jpg

Congratulations on a fine rooster! Always good to witness success in the field.

I've always loved pheasant. I grew up in Kansas, and pheasant was one of the few things hunted back in the day. There are no pheasant to hunt here in BC. So, you have made me nostalgic and somewhat envious.

Congratulations on a very nice Rooster!! They are a hoot to hunt :wink:.
What did you think of that Bennille?

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys. They are much harder to hit than I thought! I liked the Benelli. Interesting design with very little recoil. I just bought a Beretta 686 though, but that's another story [emoji6]

Back