Chukar today

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My dog and I got out for a few hours earlier today - to chase chukar here in the hills of central Washington. What a wonderful day!

After a few failed attempts at closing on them, I managed to get up the hill and take two shots at a rising group of chukar, dropping two of them! (y) I'm not that great of a shotgunner, so when I drop two, in two shots, I AM going to brag about it... :grin:

Clark the Dog worked hard and did real well. He found chukar, it was up to me to get up to them - and eventually I did. Then he found the birds I dropped. Too cool. It was hard work. I loved every second of it. And we've got a couple of chukar to eat, probably later this week.

They love rugged country. Took this while I was resting, after Clark brought me the two chukar, before we headed back to the Jeep, which was waaaay down below:

Clark, working hard:

Jeep and Beretta - both work just fine!

After the hunt:

Oh, and the Seahawks won while I was hunting! What a great day!

Regards, Guy

You are correct about chucker living in steep, rugged country, Guy. I was amazed when watching chucker fly away in the central interior of BC along the steeps of the Fraser Canyon. Looks to have been a great day, and one which I am sure Clark loved. A working dog is a wonder to behold.

Looks like a wonderful time. Always appreciate your photos and posts- thanks. The Vikings did not deserve to win anyway.... If one of my rifles performed like that it would be an instant tomato stake :) CL

Nice!

We shoot chukar here, but on shooting preserves where the hunting is not even remotely similar to what you're experiencing. That'd be pretty cool to chase them in that kind of terrain.

Nicely done!

They say hunting chuckars the first time is for fun and after that it's for revenge. They are a frustrating bird to hunt in some of the steepest country in the west. They do taste good though. Good Job Guy.

Looks like a great day Guy, great pictures as always. Great to see you up and moving about.

Oh yeah - activity helps keep me healthy! (y)

Thanks! It was a real good day.

Guy

Looks like a wonderful time in some wonderful country with a good buddy. Nicely done.....

When in NV, I tried to hunt them. The hunting was good, shooting them not so good.

They flew UP the hill, I went UP the hill. They flew DOWN the hill, I went DOWN the hill, they flew UP the hill ... well you get the idea. Great sport though.

Kodiak":3ezvjhzu said:
They flew UP the hill, I went UP the hill. They flew DOWN the hill, I went DOWN the hill, they flew UP the hill ... well you get the idea. Great sport though.

That part of it's a little tough, particularly with the types of hills they like.
SANY0661.jpg

And that's what we get when we fail to properly vet game birds! Hard hunting and running up and down mountains! :mrgreen:

Hah! Yes indeed...

A friend told me that every chukar is earned... I think he's right.

Guy

Absolutely the most challenging upland game. Well done guy, Clark looks like he's got it figured out.

Nice pictures and a good description of an Olympic training event. :)

Congratulations on getting your revenge on those nasty vermin. Looks like you've got a great hunting partner there.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back