Pheasants in the flat land (almost)

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
And rain, rain, fog, and more rain...

We found five roosters today, got three of them. They were holding tight in the rain & fog & wet...

My son, John, and Clark the German Wirehaired Pointer, pretty pleased with themselves:

It was a good day. Except the toe of my 20 year old winter boot decided that today was the day to break open a 1.5" x .5" hole in the toe... While we were wading through 4" of water... Sigh... Boots are in the garbage now. Twenty years was a good long run with them.

Guy

Those are some pretty wet roosters :) Congrats on another great hunt. Never had pheasant, they must taste good considering how popular they are to hunt.

Clark is a happy dog. He's been after a lot of birds lately!

Mild mannered Clark ... the Superdog! Looks like a good time albeit a wet one, was had by all. CL

Clark is a little nuts... :mrgreen:

If you ever look up the description of a dog and find their behavior characterized as "high energy" ... Yeah, that's Clark...

He stops when he's really tired, lays down and goes to sleep.

Then there's the rest of the time... (y)

Today, we were roughhousing inside - in the family room - and he leaped six feet BACKWARDS to get away from me... Good grief. Then, when I started laughing, he looked at me like "What?" :grin:

Goofy dog.

Nevermind my behavior...

Guy

Oh that's perfect :) Brings back happy memories of my Dads overly manic Irish Setter. As the saying goes..."let 'em out to run beside the truck for a mile or two before you want to hunt....then they'll be fine". The short hairs were better hunters and generally more likely to play, but all were fun. That setter was pretty to watch though.... CL

What size shot do you use on those roosters? I've had good luck with high brass 5s or 6s.

John is using 5's in the 20 ga double, and I've got 6's for the 12 ga semi-auto.

Steel shot only in this area, even for upland game.

Works well enough.

Guy

I use to use 71/2s in my reloads. The smaller shot would penetrate the feathers better, 21grs of red dot 11/8oz of shot with a Herters shot cup and gas seal powder wad. Boy that brings back memories.
My Chocolate Lab was scared of thunder storms and would leap into my arms when it would thunder and when you least expected it. Catching an airborne 90lb lab was always interesting since he would jump from chair to chair 6-8 feet apart from a stand still. Dogs are amazing in what they can do and a joy in your life for as long as they live with you.

Oh good grief, that's funny! I'm just imagining a 90 pound lab, maybe muddy, throwing himself at me for a hug... :mrgreen:

Back