Some defensive shotgun training

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today I spent some time on the range with a couple of great guys who were seeking to improve their firearms handling skills. We spent yesterday on handguns, and today on rifles and the shotgun.

Sometimes we forget how incredibly powerful and terrific a simple 12 gauge pump is, well handled, up close...

One round of 00 Buckshot:

Multiple rounds of Buckshot to the body and slugs to the head of the silhouette:

This was all with a plain-jane Rem 870 with a simple bead sight and no modifications.

It's comforting to have a good, simple shotgun nearby.

Regards, Guy

This Christmas, my wife got me an 18" rifle sighted barrel for my M2.

5 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot....that'll clear out a room.

I like what I refer to as, "The Gauge."

No other tool is as efficient at providing stopping power in such a small platform. If you need a bipedal threat stopped, at handgun distance, right now, the shotgun is often the best choice. It, and not the lever action rifle, was the gun that won the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been years since I did some defensive work with an RCMP trainer. Your pictures bring back some memories, Guy. I don't carry my Defender all that much anymore, though it still accompanies me when I'm going camping or spending extended time along the rivers. Bears have never been a serious problem, but I have had a few bipedal vermin that sounded alarm bells over the years. Nothing ever came of my caution, but I was comforted by the knowledge that I had a Defender with me. The one I have now is my third, I believe. I love it.

Good stuff Guy.
and every bad guy on the planet knows the distinctive sound of a pump action being racked.

JD338

Cop story time:

Some years back, a bad guy went a little crazy in a bar (imagine that!) and carved up a fellow pretty good, then ran out the back when the cops got called. He made it out into the alley, and was quickly surrounded by several officers pointing pistols at him. We were carrying .45 1911's at that point. He held the knife out threateningly, refusing to drop it despite repeated commands to do so.

Sarge rolled up, pulled out the 12 gauge, racked in a shell, and the bad guy immediately dropped the knife and surrendered.

In the interview he was asked why he surrendered "I KNEW that white haired old Sarge with the 12 gauge was just going to kill me!"

Yup... Smart move. I was NOT the white haired old Sarge.

Guy

Oh, anyone who hasn't fired a shotgun at a paper target at close range - those holes out on the edges of the silhouette are all from the wads. The buckshot and slugs were all very well placed.

Guy

Back