A good quality over under without breaking the bank....

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I'm liking the new Winchester 101 the best so far...

It gets good reviews and the traditional styling is what I like in a shotgun.... The Browning Cynergy is likely a fine shotgun, but I just don't like the looks of it at all.

The Citori 725 is nice, but pricey.... As are some of the Berettas.

I just want a high quality field grade gun that can kill rabbits, doves, turkeys, and also hold its own in a game of 5 stand or trap.

No semi autos...

I agree Beretta has good value. They can go from reasonable to as much as you want to spend. A buddy just picked up a used 686 for $900. Beautiful shape, plans on using it for skeet and doves.

Do not over look the Mossberg offering. The Silver Reserve II is a handsome well made and affordable O/U. A Citori(drooling) it is not but it is a good one and wont break the bank. This is actuaslly the one I am going to get. LOP is a little long but I'll figure it out. Can't beat a 2 barrel set(12/20) for less than a grand. The single is about $700

75442-catalog[1].jpg

Winchester 101 it is...

I handled them all today, from Berettas to Browning to Franchi... The 101 fit the best, a very close 2nd was the Browning 725 Citori Field gun, a little heavy though.

The 101.... She's pretty lively with 2 ounce load of #5 from a 3" shell.

That is a very handsome shotgun. What qualities stand out in your estimate that led you to opt for it?

DrMike":2hium955 said:
That is a very handsome shotgun. What qualities stand out in your estimate that led you to opt for it?

A combination of the fit, the design (very similar to Beretta), and the price.... Best O/U shotgun currently available for less than $2,000, in my opinion.... That said, I'm certainly no authority on shotguns.

The wood is nothing fancy... But its a field gun that will be hunted and used... I love the look of fancy wood, but it doesn't put meat on the table, and it costs more.

My 101 does have very dark wood, the one on display and 3 of the 4 they had in stock were plain light colored wood.... Mine is still pretty plain, but dark.

I'm ready for some clay shooting now.... And turkey, rabbit, and squirrel... she's a shooter, just got back from the patterning board.... Both barrels shoot pretty close to the same place, the upper barrel hits very slightly higher than the lower (I'm told that is perfect, or as close as it gets to perfect).... And both shoot straight.

Did the 13 yard pattern test thing...50 rounds of target loads.

Also patterned some 3" turkey loads at 40 yards.... 4 of those was all I wanted.... I'm gonna feel that tomorrow, lol.

Keep the top barrel choked tighter for longer shots with its better line of sight. Bottom gets the more open choke with the wider pattern. For clay's I am usually choked SKT & IC but some times think IC & IC would work better.

Nice gun! O/U's broke open carry over the shoulder just plain great and load / unload so easy.

First day on the clays with the 101....

2 rounds of trap and a round of skeet.... I'm happy....the 101 performed wonderfully at both games.

My best scores to date on the first day with the new gun, mostly due to having an excellent coach.

Excellent!

Dad had a 101 for quite a few years. I used it on a pheasant hunt once and really liked that gun. Am sure yours will deliver a lifetime of service!

Guy

500 rounds fired....

I love the shotgun... It is what I wanted it to be.

If I were being critical of it I'd say it is a little light for heavy clay shooting... After 100+ rounds, my shoulder is feeling it.

I expect I could reduce that some with load selection, I'm shooting 1 1/8 oz. loads at 1,200 fps.

And the other issue with the weight.... I've done a good bit of bird hunting and never noticed how whippy a light gun is.... But once I started trying to be competitive at trap, against some VERY skilled shooters.... I noticed it, in spades.

I do pretty good.... But I gotta admit to swinging through the clay then having to back up and try to hit it, lol... Now I understand, fully, why trap shooters like heavy barrels.

For skeet... The shotgun is awesome, but I suck...I will get better though.

Look for some one once loads even at 1300fps they are softer, or so I am told. I shoot 28ga/410 most of the time, but I do shoot SP3-20ga/26" with 7/8oz at 1280fps which I bet should feel the same.

Back