Some choke tube observations and discussion

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
The Winchester 101 is the first shotgun I've owned with screw in chokes, so I've had to do some research into these.

Early on in that research I found info indicating that factory tubes are just not very consistent... Upon measuring the chokes that came with my 101 I found that to be true.

The factory full choke.... It mics at .709" for an actual constriction in the back bored barrels of .033".... That is technically a "light full" choke.

The factory modified....it mics at .729 for an actual constriction of .013"... Which is closer to a "light modified" choke.

The factory improved cylinder.... It mics at .736" for an actual constriction of 006"... That is technically a "skeet" choke.

That doesn't make them "bad" chokes... Just not properly labeled, lol.

The thing that does make one of them bad is that the modified choke is a few thousandths out of round on the inside.

I have a complete set of flush fit Carlson chokes on the way.... From cylinder to turkey (9 chokes).

Going to the big patterning board at the gun range tomorrow, to confirm a few things that I think I've found out shooting at smaller than needed patterning boards.

I understand that there are no set in stone standards for these measurements... But there sure is a lot of variation.

I like the extended chokes due to ease of changing them out when shooting skeet or 5 stand.

For clays I generally use cylinder for skeet and light modified for 5 stand. I could probably get by with IC for everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a gun strictly for playing games I would have went with extended tubes... Don't think I want them on a hunting gun though.

I won't be changing them often anyway... I'll use light modified and IC for 5 stand at the local range (5 stand setups vary) and modified and/or light modified for doubles trap until I work my way back a bit... From the 27, I'll probably use full in both barrels... Maybe even extra full... But that's a ways down the road.

I'm concentrating mainly on 5 stand and trap.... Skeet is OK, but just not as much fun to me as 5 stand and trap.

I enjoy skeet and 5 stand, but trap is about as fun as pulling a tooth without laughing gas. I'm not sure why I have so much trouble with trap I just do.

I don't mind the extended chokes while hunting, I actually like the versatility of changing chokes for stand locations while waterfowl hunting. Usually I just run a pattern master or turkey choke for predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggle with skeet... But took to 5 stand and trap like I was born for it.

Could be because I grew up hunting ruffed grouse without dogs, trap and 5 stand is similar to that.

Without dogs.... You never know when or where the birds are going to come from.... I've had them come up behind me, right under my feet, from the trees over my head, etc.... One time even from under the log I was sitting on eating a sandwich, after I had been sitting there for several minutes....

A good day at a full size patterning board.... The gun shoots 65/35, or... about 4 inches high at 40 yards... I think that will work just fine for what I want it for (trap, 5 stand, and some hunting)... All patterns looked good, all were a little wider than the chokes are marked but I expected that....I measured the constriction on the factory chokes, all were a little loose.... They are supposed to be full, modified, and improved cylinder.... They shoot light full, light modified, and skeet.... Same as they measured.

On my U/O's & pumps I like the extended chokes. No tools needed easy to check if there still tight. I do not change them ofton, SKT & IC does clay's and most of hunting. My guns have 26" barrels so an extra 1/2" is not an issue.

Quick service from Carlson's.... My choke tubes arrived today, and every one measures exactly what it says it is.

I have had great luck with my Carlson's extended chokes. I run the extended mid range chokes for waterfowl and the turkey extended choke. No complaints!

I like my Carlson's extra full lead only choke in my benelli Nova for turkey. I think it was just an extra full trap choke, and considerably cheaper than many turkey gun chokes, but it works great.

Back