Does anyone use 20 Gauge for predators

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
Just wondering if anyone uses the 20 for predators. Years ago when I got my first shotgun I got a box of Federal supermag 3" copperplated #2 buffered shot. Wish I had bought several boxes at the time because I only have a few rounds left. What do you guys use?

I don't really predator hunt, yet, but I have the utmost confidence in the .20 ga. and a nice tight choke. I know the hevi shot hits turkeys like a hammer and patterns extremely well. They make a dead coyote load that my friends use. Its awesome!

I use a 12 ga 3" Mag but used to use a 3.5" Mag loaded with Dead Coyote for song dogs.
I have also used #4 Buck with excellent results. Everything goes through a Pure Gold .670" turkey choke.
This combo has taken coyotes cleanly at over 50 yards, DRT.

JD338

Pattern master choke with dead coyote or #4 buck is a good killer too in my 12ga.

I used to hunt with a guy who ran dogs for fox/coyote and he always used a savage 24 in 222/20ga. If memory serves he used to use 3 buck in the 20ga. He sure stacked up a lot of fur with that old gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats funny i was asking because my dad gave me a savage 24 in 222/20 gauge. I have hunted with my stevens 311 20 gauge since i was 14(42 now) and for mtn quail, ruff n blue grouse and turkeys 20 has always worked for me.

Surprisingly tight patterns using #4 buck out of the 20ga. I have a few loaded for predators when I am out Chukar hunting.

Remember the individual shot out of a 12ga hits no harder than it does out of a 20ga. You simply have more shot exiting the end of the barrel.

Go for it.

Back