ithaca model 37 ultra featherlight 20 gauge

NWBlacktail

Handloader
Dec 17, 2011
Anyone know anything about these things? My (very kind) sister-in-law gave me this little gun. She has small kids, and wasn't really into firearms.

I traced the SN to a build date of 1978. It looks great, with only a few wear marks on the blueing. I think it has an integral modified choke, but I'm not totally sure whats going on there.

Anyway, by oldest son is 10, and I think it'd make a nice grouse gun. It looks so nice though, I might have to just keep it for myself.

They are a great shot gun rivaled only by the Remington 870. The 12ga model was known for it's recoil with heavy loads. the barrel is held in place with threads and the receivers where machined out of a block of steel. I had a 12ga model 37 and loved it but had to sell it.

Not to argue w/ TD...but I heard once that the superlites had an aluminum receiver. Don't know if that's true.... Mine has the steel one. SN puts its some where in the 40's unless I was mis-informed there too. Wonderful guns, honestly one of my favorites. Light weight does mean it will kick though.... Have fun! CL

Thanks guys! I believe it does have an aluminum receiver. The action is very smooth, and it's just a sweet little gun.

Slight issue… I bought some 2 1/2 " target loads, loaded it. It holds 5 rounds, but I believe here in Oregon you can only have a shotgun that holds 3 for hunting. Still fine for skeet and stuff. I wonder if I can find a plug for it.

You can make one out of a wooden dowel rod. just make it about a 1/2" shorter than 2 shells so it only holds 3.
As far as the aluminum receiver that wouldn't bother me none if the price is right and the finish is good.

I had one in 16 GA, but it didn't fit me right so I sold it. Wish I had kept it and just ordered a new buttstock from Boyd's. Pretty sure the receiver is machined steel. See if a magnet sticks.

Have an old 12 ga Ithaca 37. NICE old gun. I actually hit fairly well with it while trap shooting, though I'm not real serious about trap. It does a great job in the field.

One really nice thing about the 37 is that bottom-eject. Either left hand or right hand shooters can be happy with it!

Oh, and yes, you can make a simple "plug" with a chunk of dowel rod, cut to the appropriate length. Works fine.

Enjoy.

truck driver":1nuaaaxo said:
You can make one out of a wooden dowel rod. just make it about a 1/2" shorter than 2 shells so it only holds 3.

The wooden dowel worked great by the way. Easy to do. :mrgreen:

The old Ithaca Deerslayers were legends around my area growing up. My cousins and uncles all ran Ithacas and man, they all shot really well with slugs they liked.

I have two 12's and a 16. One 12 was my Dad's and 16 was my grandfathers that I inherited. Great shotguns. Can't image how many shells have been shot in mine shooting informal clay pigeons

Biggest mistake of my life, ok that list is pretty long. In any event trading my 37 for my first over/under rates near the top.
That 20 should serve you well. They are beautiful guns, the epitome of what a pump should be.
Years ago I favored full choke for all around hunting. I rarely use other than modified now. When my clients ask I recommend modified for single barrels and improved cylinder/modified for stack bbl guns. Especially if they're shooting prairie storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviving an old thread...
Saw an ad for a Ithaca Model 37 in 28 ga with 26" barrels and a AA straight grip stock for sale. Beautiful shotgun!
Did a little research on the Ithaca's and am liking what I am reading on the shotguns and the reviews of these guns from years long past, and the newer models being produced since 2009, including the scaled down 28 ga, by the new owners.
Have heard there is a dealer in Canada now and need to reach out to them on new pricing.
Aluminum and steel receivers are offered, in 24", 26" or 28" barrels, as are pistol grip and straight grip stocks, in A, AA and AAA wood.

Which would you choose?
And why?

I had a couple of the ultra lights, 1970 to 80 vintage. I did wear the extractor out on the 12 but I shot that gun a lot. Never been a shotgun I could shoot any better. Sold or traded them when I decided I wanted to shoot side x side.
I absolutely love the guns. Personally I’d go with the lighter aluminum as a hunting gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even at approx 6 lbs for the steel receiver Featherweight w/ 26" barrel, it is a fairly lightweight shotgun to my thinking. At $1,320 USD today for the this with AA grade wood seems a decent price.
Also thinking that the steel receiver will have a nicer bluing than the Ultralight aluminum receiver version; although pics of it finished in he chrome plating are quite attractive with a dark fancy wood stock. But price does rise with that finish and higher grades of wood. ($2,395 USD)

Thinking with the mix of brush and open range to hunt upland birds here that the 26" barrels will be the better balance given the choices. Thoughts?

Being a bottom eject design, should be fairly friendly for us lefty's! (I just haven't found the Browning BPS to shoulder and balance to my liking...so hoping this is better!)

Whatever you choose I am slightly jealous. Upland birds/ game with a 37 just sounds like classice good hunting. My 16ga serves me no good purpose but I just cant bring myself to sell it. CL

Have always read the 16ga was a classic upland round.
Have never had any experience with it since it was almost dead and you never saw the ammo on the shelf in our area. Is good to see that there are companies reviving it!

As far as selling it, just because it may not be serving its purpose, doesn't mean that you can't still take it out, oil it and handle it while reminiscing on the good times you once shared!
Sentimental value goes far beyond ability and value, when it it still does wonders for the heart and soul of the hunter!!

I currently have a BPS in 12 ga and while I shoot it ok and it fits me better than my old 37, it doesn't carry as well at all. It is heavier and the wrist of the stock is really too thick for my hands. Things you don't notice about a gun until you've carried it for a few days afield.

My old 16 gauge 37 and my uncle's 12 ga 37 that I got to use for a weekend pheasant hunting were a joy to carry. Both of those guns were 28" barreled and I never thought the extra 2" were a problem grouse hunting or hunting in brush fencerows.

I have an old mod 37 16 ga plain barrel full choke that was my uncles. Very light to carry and take it squirrel or turkey hunting every now and then. I wish I could hear some of the stories it knows. Dan.

Back