7/8 oz. #8 for trap...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I'm curious how this load will pattern at 40-50 yards...handicap or doubles distances.

I've read everything I can find on the subject of 24 gram and 7/8 oz. loads....but nowhere can I find any hard evidence of how they pattern, as in pictures.

International trap and skeet is shot with 24 grams at a high rate of speed (over 1,300 fps).

I'm gonna know when I get back home...I'm gonna pattern my load (7/8 oz. #8 at 1,235 fps) through every choke I have from light modified all the way through extra full...at 40 and 50 yards.

I use "improved modified" for my trap shooting with the 1 1/8 oz. factory loads...I get good breaks with modified, even light modified...but I prefer the complete disintegration I get with improved modified.

I tried 7/8 oz. #8 through the improved modified and smoked them just fine from the 16 yard line...the 23 I hit anyway :grin: the ones I missed were not because of the load, it was the nut behind the trigger....I get carried away on the straight away birds and shoot under them instead of swinging up through them, and triggering the shot just as the bead covers the bird....when I remember to do that, I hit them every time.

Shooting trap with a skeet gun...

Back