O/U shopping....

A

Anonymous

It spent a little bit today looking at over/unders after getting the bug for upland bird hunting.

I've been using several shotguns for the last few years- my well loved and battered M2 Benelli, my son's 870 in 20ga, my ancient M37 Winchester in 20ga and (rarely) my M12 Winchester when the weather is nice. I won't hunt much with the heirloom stuff- just occasionally as they are both irreplaceable to me.

The 870 is OK, but it's really too short in the stock. My Benelli is a great duck gun...but it's a bit overkill for blasting grouse and it feels too long to really swing nice on ruffed grouse in the woods.

So I got the O/U bug.
Short list- Benelli 828 and a Beretta 20ga...both a little north of $2k...pretty heart-stopping for a hack shotgunner with limited wingshooting opportunities and zero opportunities at clays or skeet. The feel, fit and finish were simply outstanding. Wanting to see a Browning but they didn't have one but I expect the price and quality are comparable.

Also looked at a CZ... pretty nice, not Benelli nice, but not Benelli money either. Action was stiff and the fit was a little off. Probably entirely serviceable if a little plain.

Looked at some guns called "Setter" made by Tristar.... after handling the Italian guns these seemed really clunky and pretty heavy and the store had a pile of them. Also another Turkish gun... can't remember the name but also pretty heavy and pretty clunky feeling.

So, question for those of you who are shotgunners....are the Berettas and Brownings and such worth the considerable coin? Will a low end O/U just frustrate me and quickly get replaced? I realize those are value judgements, but since I'm a rifleman...shotguns have always been sort of an ad hoc pursuit.

For reference- a low end O/U seems about priced with a Wingmaster or Browning pump...but I'm not sure there's really a good comparison there.

O/u are the best! Very classy,

I have been using an early 1960s Belgium Browning Superposed 12 ga. for many a year. Do I need to say 1000s of shots thru the barrels, trap leagues, bird hunts etc., a well made shotgun!

No matter your choice, they are nice guns.

All the best, Jim

I've owned a Browning Citori and it was a nice gun, but I learned that I am not an O/U guy. They are worth the extra money over the $400 0/u guns, especially if you can find a used one like I did. Rather than get a $400 o/u, I would suggest looking at something like a Stoeger semiauto 20, or go in between the Italian o/u with something like a Benelli Motefeltro in a 20. My friend has a Monti 20 and that is one light quick pointing grouse and pheasant gun.

In the three years I've been guiding pheasant hunts I've seen a surprising number of entry level O/U. In my opinion they optimized " you get what you pay for"
1. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
2. Fit: if it isn't pointing where you're looking you will miss more than you hit.
3. Bbl regulation, I tested one last week at 30 yards. Top bbl patterned about two feet to the right bottom bbl about a foot low.
4. Failed to fire, been seeing this more often. The gun becomes a single shot.

I also have guided guys who were thrilled with their bargain O/U.
If I wanted an O/U I would buy a perazzi.
I've seen quite a few Benelli ultra light 20 gauge guns. They are great guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two Citoris. I bought both used, one on Gunbroker (12 gauge Gran Lightning) and one from Cabelas (20 gauge mismarked Grade III). Both were much less than new, and they are wonderful bird hunting guns. I would not necessarily look for a new one if you're in the market, as used ones can be had, likely for a better price.

I've had a few others come and go, but these two will stay.

Browning and Beretta are where its at, in my opinion...

But these 2 brands vary quite a bit in who/how they fit.... Both are excellent shotguns that will last a lifetime or two.... The Berettas don't fit me, at all.

Just get them in your hands to find out which one fits you.

Every field type Browning I've shot (lots now) has been regulated the same....60/40, which works great for both upland and skeet.

I've seen several of the budget guns that were very poorly regulated.

If the Browning's fit.... Don't overlook the Winchester 101, it is a damn fine Belgian made Browning.... All for just over $1,000 from Bass Pro.

My 101 is already pushing 2500 rounds... Trap, skeet, and 5 stand... Not a single issue of any kind.

It was very stiff when it was new, took about 500 rounds for it loosen up to what is normal... Now its just plain perfect.

My main grouse gun is a Baby frame Berretta SP3 28 gauge. You carry this all day long and it handles great! It is my go to gun for clay's and grouse/woodcock/quail. I have the same in a 20 gauge but do not use it except for December grouse and preserve pheasant when a one ounce load is preferred. But than you can get super X 28 gauge one ounce loads too. I reload so the 28 is perfect most of the time an only $4.24 per box reloaded.

I like the Berretta's better then the Browning but just used one in 12ga for tower shoot and it fit/worked just fine. My 410 is great for quail is lacking on pheasant.

Buy a quality O/U like the Berretta or Browning and it will last many life times. $2,000 is not high for a quality gun with two barrels. And with two chokes you can extend range of your peak pattern performance. These guns have stocks with cast so make sure you have the right gun as in right or left handed gun.

Back