Henry Single Shot Shotgun

A

Anonymous

I saw that Henry is producing a new single barrel shotgun.... aimed at a higher end market. The photo looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing one on the rack. I'm happy a nice quality single might be coming back on the market. My much loved M37 is too old and irreplaceable for day in and day out work.

I really enjoy grouse hunting with a single in the fall.

https://www.henryrifles.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun/

gerry":208mpzgn said:
Those look like quality guns, you thinking about a 20 or 12?

If I've got serious killing to do- I've got a couple 12s already. I really enjoy my 20ga for rough shooting grouse in the woods so I'll likely go that route. I'm considering the .410 but I'm not a real fan of it historically... but I'm largely not wingshooting- mostly ground sluicing or knocking them out of trees (I know...I'm a barbarian!) so bore size is a bit flexible. I've done really well with the 20ga in that role and the shells are 1/3 the price...so practical will likely win that one.

A 28ga would already be on order if they made it...I've already sent an email asking if one's coming in the future.

We do the same thing here so no worries :) I have an old Baikal 12 gauge single shot and a CIL 28 gauge, found the 28 kills as well as the 12 so far. I would far prefer the 20 over a 410 as well.

Wow, nostalgia--big time! Yes, Hodgeman a Henry single shot shotgun. we also have an old double Parker that has been handed down through the generations.

Anyway, back to reality. thanks for the link I had not heard about this, but it does look good. A 20 would work of me. Hope you get one for Christmas

Hodgeman, Gerry, Europe

I enjoy shotgunning, and never understood the love some folks have for a single shot. I am not been argumentative in any way whatsoever, but was wondering if this comes from possibly the first shotgun you used with your dad or granddad or ?

Also, I had heard of Henry, but not of Parker, so looked it up and apparently at one time it was considered a nice shotgun.

Hodgeman, are there a lot of gun shops in the small towns in Alaska, or do you fellows in Alaska have to go to Fairbanks or Anchorage, to see the new stuff ? And Gerry, do you have to go to Vancouver ?

hunternyny":1mqd2a2u said:
Hodgeman, Gerry, Europe

I enjoy shotgunning, and never understood the love some folks have for a single shot. I am not been argumentative in any way whatsoever, but was wondering if this comes from possibly the first shotgun you used with your dad or granddad or ?

Hodgeman, are there a lot of gun shops in the small towns in Alaska, or do you fellows in Alaska have to go to Fairbanks or Anchorage, to see the new stuff ? And Gerry, do you have to go to Vancouver ?

I enjoy the single for informal type wingshooting....mostly just long fall walks with a chance of grouse. If I'm going on a dedicated mission for birds then I take my Benelli M2. But if I'm just rambling around and want the ability to pot the odd bird-I really like the lightweight and simplicity of a single.

My town has a really good sporting goods store but that is maybe something of an oddity. Most towns have some sort of shop but they vary considerably in quality. It helps that the owner of our shop is an enthusiast about hunting and not just a store clerk.

Henry's quality is top notch. I wonder why they went modified and not a choke tube system

hunternyny":26ze0ua6 said:
Hodgeman, Gerry, Europe

Also, I had heard of Henry, but not of Parker, so looked it up and apparently at one time it was considered a nice shotgun.

We have a couple of gun stores here but I often will order things in because of price gouging. When I travel to bigger centres I often will buy components there.

My first gun was the 12 gauge I mentioned earlier that my dad bought me so have some sentimental value of course. I'm a lefty so single shot's are pretty user friendly, I also like the simplicity of a single shot. For grouse I have never felt that I was missing out on not having a repeater, for waterfowl a couple of extra shots comes in handy at times but the single shot 12 gauge has brought home ducks and geese (and a bonus deer one time). For grouse I'm totally happy with a break open single shot but wouldn't turn down a nice double.

FOTIS":reqsdyo7 said:
Henry's quality is top notch. I wonder why they went modified and not a choke tube system

Reading the website on it, all three gauges come with a choke tube system but only come with a single choke tube- modified for 12 and 20, full for 410.

Briley will make chokes for you so thats covered. I would get a set of extended chokes in SKT, IC, Lt-Mod, Mod. In my 410 it is choked 95% of the time SKT & IC for shoots from 15 to 35 yards. When one moves from too tight of choke to the optimum more open chokes for shoots out to 35 yards scores go up and more birds drop from the sky. Other than shooting still targets like squirrels I see no use for full choke in a 410 only problems. When I do use a Lt-Mod choke I do miss a few colse in hard shoots but boy can it dust a 40 yard clay, very impressive!

Back