New Turkey Gun

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
While checking "my" FFL guy, he was showing me five Weatherby Mark 5 in cal. 30-378, 300, 270, 257 and one in 22-250. All had Gold Ring 6.5x20 with diff reticles depending on cal. One gentleman purchased these at the same time about 20 years ago and is now selling them. All stainless fluted barrels with grey syn stocks. After that is when I saw a full camo Turkey gun on the rack. It is the Mossberg Ulti-Mag 835 pump with fiber optic sights. We wheeled and dealed on a partial trade and I took this home. Looking at the gun it was not hunted with, a sling was not put on and looking down barrel with a light it looks like one shot was made with it. Full bluing on slides and action. My guess some guy shot a 3 1/2" full turkey load to pattern it and said "NOPE" and traded it off. I'm going to try my hand at getting a turkey this year instead of just watching them do "Their Thing" while I'm coyote hunting.

Yeah shooting and eating them is great but I do love watching them and all wild life.
The Mossberg should get the job done. When you pattern the gun try different choke tubes some times tighter isn't always the best choice and will blow patterns with heavy large shot loads.
I have all my shot gun barrels forcing cones lengthened which helps with recoil and will tighten up the patterns. Any good gun smith can do it for you with an adjustable hone or reamer.

Thank's for the info on the forcing cones. I've heard of guys doing this with comp guns.
Bill

Back