Up coming projects!

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Thought I would post picture of one of our winter projects, for any that like to see the before
and after? Here is a nice old Browning Grade 4 that has had the factory shiney export finish, striped
from the wood. The Customer has already taken the factory finish off. In the process he made some mistakes and radiused some edges, and gushed the wood badly with his scraper. :? We will be doing a traditional London Oil Finish on the wood, so stay tuned
for more pics!IMG_1816.JPGIMG_1815.JPG

35 Whelen":2vxqik5x said:
Thought I would post picture of one of our winter projects, for any that like to see the before
and after? Here is a nice old Browning Grade 4 that has had the factory shined finish striped
from the wood. Customer has already striped the factory finish off. We will be doing a traditional London Oil Finish on the wood, so stay tuned
for more pics!View attachment 1
Looking forward to seeing the progress on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol,
I will keep you updated, also have a compleate restoration
Of an old 1889 Marlin in 44/40 that will need ALOT of magic worked on it! Pretty rough one!

That is something I wish I had the knowledge and skill to attempt. Maybe one of these days I'll take an old beater stock and practice.

Just getting startedIMG_1897.JPGIMG_1895.JPGIMG_1896.JPG
Owner had had buttplate off when he striped it and radiused the edges about .020 , so had to compleatly refit the buttplate :xIMG_1911.JPG
Here is the wood with some water on it to raise up all the wood whiskers. IMG_1912.JPGPretty darn figured
Junk of Black Walnut, should look spectacular when it's done. :grin:

Thanks Lefty!
It will be nice when its done, I guarantee it :lol:

Yes, I agree. That is a great chunk of wood and is going to be real nice when you're finished.

Well here is a first coat after sealing and filling the pores, these highly figured dense grained stocks are actually easier to do than a cheaper more open grained stock would be
I am guessing it will take about 6/7 coats then a final run out of rotten stone with the last coat ultra thinned out and I am guessing the final finish will be pretty special!
This is a Grade 4 Browning so the metal work is pretty darn nice as well! Sorry about the glare but you will get the idea?IMG_2004.JPGIMG_2005.JPG

Earle,

That is one beautiful piece of wood. It will be gorgeous when its done.

JD338

SC,
That old Setter in the picture above, is actually 13 years old, almost compleatly deaf, and has cloudy eyes to boot, although he was a stud muffin, in his day. And I would conservatively guess he easily has had 100 grouse a season shot at, over him for 11 plus years,I hunted him, so he certainly has made the "1000 Grouse" club; during his years with us. Of course he could not stay at it long on warm days, and has trouble keeping track of us because he can't hear me, but an old client that has hunted with us for years
Just loves him from his many trips hunting over him, insisted we take him out for a morning last fall. I agreed to his plan, and we drove out for one last hunt for them. I went to a couple of my "better private covers" where no one but us hunts , where I knew there were some younger first year birds, to give him the best chance for success......... and this perticular chap, is a champion wing shot, that shoots his 20 ga Purdy, amazingly, so that certainly figures into this hunt heavily. So when the old dog wound up
pointing 7 Grouse in the two covers we hunted that beautiful crisp October morning; Gary expertly shot the dog; 4 of them, for him. Well you have never seen a prouder dog in your life! He was prancing around like a 2 year old, lifting his paws higher than I have seen him lift them in years, and if a dog could smile he was beaming. I think just for a moment he was 2 again and life couldn't have been better!
Of course at 13 years old when we got back to the truck he tryed his damedest to jump up into the bed of the
truck and he just couldn't do it. So I had to actually pick him up, and put him on the tailgate, ( which he actually loves it, when I baby him like that) he then looked his birds over and spun around a few times to show off in front of the other dogs now tearing at the doors of their boxes, as if to say " and that's how it's done boys" then walked into his box and flopped down, totally exhausted.
His stud book official name is " Twin Lakes Bandit" but I always have just called him Bandy; however the girls all call him
"Bandy Boo" and always give him extra everything.......

I love dog stories like that. There is nothing like hunting over a dog that's hunting for you.
I hate the passage of time, getting to three years old and refined, by six you start looking for unusual soreness, maybe they don't hunt tomorrow. Glad you've had such a great time with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earle, that is some beautiful wood work on that Browning and of course I have a special place in my heart for working dogs :wink:.
Thanks for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Well the customer is coming today for his gun, finished up now in a " London Oil" Finnish rubbed out after final
Coat with rotten stone and then waxed for a true piano "high Finnish".
Same as we do on Winchesters, 8 coats total. Thought some would want to see what they look like going out of our shop! He asked as he examined it, what is that smell, I told him either tung oil or turpentine. He said he had never smelled it before..........IMG_2517.JPGIMG_2516.JPGIMG_2514.JPG

There is some beautiful character in the wood. You've brought it out in beautiful fashion. Excellent work.

Wow Earle, that is a work of art! Very fine work on your part, the owner should be super happy with the great time and effort you put forth into bringing out the woods full potential.

Great figure in the wood of the butt stock.

Back