Shotguns for females

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
We dont have many here who respond to shotgun threads and/or have females in their lives who use them--but--I just did a very "hands on" research of several

For a Female

o/u--Syren
semi- auto Franchi Affinity ( only reason I like it better than a Syren-- Franchi is inertia)

These would be the two I would recommend you buy for her.

after that

Blaser new shotgun for the female "fits" and is sold at a good price, but didn't quite make the cut for me.

CZ lady sterling is only available via special order and I did not hold/use one --

I wanted to like the Fausti, since his daughters now run the business--but it did not make the cut

Rizzini, Bennelli, Browning, Bretta --all make "youth" shotguns that "sort of" fits and can actually work/fit but they are not "made" specifically for the female huntress and therefore IMHO do not match up to the Syren or Franchi -- However of these 4, I do like the Bennelli and in fact got one of them to go with the Syren and Franchi as I am sure someone, in the family will use it. They make nice shotguns IMHO, semi-auto, interia, model for a smaller shooter

Sounds like you found a nice store to carry all those. I have to gon2 hours to get to a store that knows shotguns and has a selection.

I think you’ll be happy with your selections!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark, actually several different locations. It was kind of fun for me, as I just rode around via a train, which is fairly popular in Europe. Some of these companies are very close to each other, plus ranges, hunting chalets/clubs, a couple of stores. Although one can certainly get a good idea about the way a shotgun comes to the shoulder, the cheek/stock/eye fit, length of pull, "quality" to some extent, ---it is better to shoot them, if possible. A lot of females use shotguns here and I know some of them and the females I know, know others. It wasn't as hard as it might seem, and the opportunity to have a glass of wine with an old or new aquitaine was a plus to the trip. And remember I am retired and have nothing else to do---plus in a couple of cases, my opinion was obtained from prior use of the shotgun

Sounds like you had fun on your quest!
Hope that your granddaughterr and family have as much fun and years of enjoyment from your gifts!

5shot":v0ysl9ca said:
Do you prefer a 12 or a 20?

Both ----12 for geese, ducks, cranes and 20 for pheasant, quail, partridge, chukar, etc

she got the Syren in the 20 double and the Franchi semi in 12, I just throw the Benelli 12 gauge auto in because I like it--somebody will use it.

Considered 28 instead of 20, but Hodgeman made a good point, 20 gauge ammo is going to be easier to find when she is traveling

Right wrong on indifferent, that is what I did

Gil, thank you!

p.s Gil, Hodgeman----for the record I still like my Connecticut better than any of these. but maybe that has something to do with who gave it to me (-:

No need to justify what you like or prefer, or why.
It is enough that you like what you have, for your own personal reasons, and will enjoy the owning and use of it!

April,
I was locked out while you were doing this. I have two ex-girlfriends over the last 15 years, both of whom needed shotguns. Both, like your Granddaughter, are tall girls. Both ended up with Bennelli shot guns, a 12 and a 20. Danged if they didn't mind keeping those shotguns after kicking me to curb.

salmonchaser,
Since they both knew how to shoot, I bet there was little argument in their keeping those firearms! LOL

I know I have to be careful with Susan being proficient with the bow, shotgun and the rifle!

Sounds like a great time!

A friend of mine has the Franchi (men's version)...a very nice gun that just flat works. The I-Drive is the basic Benelli Inertia drive and has a well known reputation.

Which Benelli 12 did you pick up?

Found out today my high schools baton twirler traded that for shotguns... she likes to break clays.. her mom was shooting in NRA competitions back in the 60’s. Would have never guessed.

Been out of high school 40 years..

Speaking of baton twirlers. Susan's Granddaughter was a member of her high school cheer team. Two time national champs. Those from Texas, where she went to high school, know it's a big deal. Photo from two years ago on her way to cheer, taking time to shoot her cross bow.IMG_2702.JPG
Not a shotgun but she likes shooting.

There's no accounting for taste, or is there? My particular female prefers a very old, very well used Ithaca M37 Featherweight 12 pump with a few small modifications. I've tried putting every gun I could find in her hands to try, and she still gravitates to this one so I've given up trying anything else. So I basically built her a custom stocked gun using the existing wood on the M37 to fit her better.

Mods: Shortened stock LOP aprox 1.5". Removed awful polyurethane from stock, chem strip, sand, oil finished, slimmed smoothed and shaped pistol grip slightly. Added a rather high end leather recoil pad with well rounded edges (LOP 1" reduction with pad). Added a reversible bead in bright orange to the vent rib for low-light duck hunting, other side is a buff grey for normal conditions, when turned sideways acts as a slim sight blade for slugs. Slimmed and grooved the forend as part of the refinish process. Barrel was already a short 21ish inches and choked improved.

She also shoots loads that are on the light side, 1oz or 7/8 for trap and grouse. Still shoots full power steel shot on waterfowl, but we're usually wearing heavy coats in that pursuit so the recoil isn't bad.

Back