28 gauge

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Anyone on here use a 28 gauge? I happened to find a shell in an assortment of ammo and brass given to me in a ziplock bag a while back.

Are there economical shotguns (and ammo) thusly chambered and easy to find?

I love 20 gauges, I have three so basically don’t need another shotgun but a nice double or semi-auto for birds and such sounds nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the 28 gauge.
I have a Remington 1100 Sporting 28 and love it!
Beautiful shotguns that are not easy to find as they did not make many. There was one on GunBroker within the past couple of days. Depending on year of manufacture, you can buy extra choke for them; comes with 3 from the factory.
Shells can be harder to find and can be expensive, but looking around you can usually find some for a good price (usually cheaper than .410).
You can also find older Cooey 84 and 840 or Winchester 37A single shots in 28 ga; also notas common so can be tougher to find. The 37A is heavier than the Cooey's as it has a heavier barrel. All were made in the same plant here in Canada. (I have both the 37A and the 84 (full chokes) and they are great for upland birds!

I have a CIL single shot that we use on grouse, not exactly what you are asking about but it's what we have. Ammo is more expensive than 20 gauge but living in the U.S. you should still be able to find some cheaper ammo. I like it for grouse, it's much more decisive than the 410, in fact I can't tell the difference of the 28 gauge 3/4 oz compared to the standard 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz loads. I'm sure farther out there would be a difference but at normal ranges it's great.

The 28ga is Fun but serves no practical purpose, 20ga is much more useful. 28ga shells cost more and not as big of variety in them. I reload 28ga and while it's Fun in shotguns there really no reason for the .410 and 28ga unless you compete in Skeet. But when I had my GSP I had a few Great years with the 28ga 1100 I have on Wild Pheasants.

Fella I guide regularly for upland birds in Oregon and ptarmigan in Alaska shoots a continental SxS and O/U in 28 gage. I can’t recall which prestigious maker created them but they are nice. Always an easy day for the dogs, the birds fall stone dead.

28 gauge is a honey and deadly on upland birds in the hands of a good shot. They are cost effective reloading as the most expensive component is the lead. You can load 28 gauge at 5/8 ounce and 3/4 ounce.

My brother takes his 28gauge over the 12 or 20 when he heads out.

Shells for 28gauge at $9-12 for target loads and 15-20 for hunting loads. I’d estimate $4 a box if you load your own 28’s. Most guys at our club that shoot 28, load their own.

I have taken turkey with 20 gauge 2 x. Both times they hit the ground stone dead, no flopping. Maybe it’s the Benelli chokes vs my 12 gauge. I would not be afraid to try a 28 on a Tom.

My Beretta 686 White Onyx 28ga and some Winchester AA sporting clay loads in 7.5 are my go to combo for grouse in michigan and doves in indiana.

Now the proud owner of FAIR Iside EM sxs in 28 ga!
An absolutely beautiful little double!
Can't wait to get it out and shoot it!
Still plenty of grouse around, may even get to hunt it this year!
Rain and snow here today and forecast for tomorrow; hope to get it out next weekend.

I think a O/U 28 ga would be just the ticket for partridge and woodcock hunting, especially with a dog.

JD338

We managed to get out this weekend; Susan got a couple more ruffies with her Sporting 28, and I got a couple with the sxs!
Saw lots of spruce hens, but as they are not as good eating, we left them alone.

Also saw 13 moose on Saturday, but all cows and calves; so no bull moose for Susan this year.

Sounds like a great shotgun!

Along with grouse, woodcock, doves, etc.., I have found my 28 to be great on rabbits as well.

Fiocchi #5 golden pheasant loads work great

Back