Alaska

That is a fantastic picture. That is why people make the trek to Alaska each summer. Great haul.

IMG_1360.JPG

Fished with bears today, 12 actually.
This sow and her cubs were sleeping in the alders, woke up when we started catching fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":19uydbzh said:

Fished with bears today, 12 actually.
This sow and her cubs were sleeping in the alders, woke up when we started catching fish

Well, of course she wakened! Anytime you begin catching fish, sleepy heads next to you come alive. :mrgreen: Great photo!

Sharp hooks are mandatory. It makes it easier to push it through.IMG_6627.JPG

One of my clients suffered the indignity of piercing his own ear while casting for sockeye.

Following a little drama I pinched the barb, well mostly, tied the fly back on his line, and got him back in action.

Don't you normally pierce the ear on the lobe? :? If you've never been hooked, you haven't fished enough. (y)

salmonchaser":396byep7 said:
It's opening day on our river. Our guests arrived with about half their bags last night, but their fly rods made it. The guys are all from Alaska, save one, he comes from Florida. Their quest is simple; Spey rods, smolt patterns; fast water and 30 inch rainbows.
The bear overwatch is active.

Congratulations on your season, it looks like it is going well and everyone is happy

This is my favorite, as I see enough bears and fish, but never get tired of dog pictures.
How many did you take, just those two ? Beautiful dogs

Salmonchaser, good luck this season, it looks like a great season so far.

Salmonchaser, Hodgeman and Bear-78----my husband and I watched, and laughed one day watching "combat" fishing on the Russian river. it was right where it dumped into another river which I am forgetting the name of at this time.

Cheyenne, I am sure nobody here has as many dogs as you have and I am almost postive nobody has two pet Wolves laying around the house. However, I am sure Dr Mike, Gil, Gerry, Hodgeman, Salmonchaser and Bear-78 also see more bears than they want to see at times, Maybe even Earle, but I think right now he would only see black bears but not sure.

Salmonchaser, do you guide only for fishing or also bird hunting and big game hunting in Alaska? I think I remember you do also guide for birds in Oregon. Many here I am sure are envious of your choice of occupations, the same can be said about Earle, I am sure several would like to do what Earle is doing as well. Nobody wants to be on a sail boat in the Mediterranean drinking adult beverages---well, except me and that is only because I am to old to do anything else )-:

Thankful Otter":1om603og said:
salmonchaser":1om603og said:
It's opening day on our river. Our guests arrived with about half their bags last night, but their fly rods made it. The guys are all from Alaska, save one, he comes from Florida. Their quest is simple; Spey rods, smolt patterns; fast water and 30 inch rainbows.
The bear overwatch is active.

Congratulations on your season, it looks like it is going well and everyone is happy

This is my favorite, as I see enough bears and fish, but never get tired of dog pictures.
How many did you take, just those two ? Beautiful dogs

It has been a very good season, great people and great fishing. Every group we have had so far has re-booked for next year. Gotta like that.
I too have seen enough bears this summer. Two days ago I was mending a leader, looked up, looked around then tied a blood knot. Looked up and 30 feet away was a bear about the size of the one Guy killed. He was looking at me as if thinking " I bet I can scare the poop out of that puny human" then he just ambled across the creek.
The guests think close encounters are cool, most are thrilled. Me, I pray.
Molly and Sugar are the only two I bring, my brother brings his Golden retriever as well. They are very social dogs and like visiting our guests.

Europe":2bp5ti4u said:

Salmonchaser, Hodgeman and Bear-78----my husband and I watched, and laughed one day watching "combat" fishing on the Russian river. it was right where it dumped into another river which I am forgetting the name of at this time.

Cheyenne, I am sure nobody here has as many dogs as you have and I am almost postive nobody has two pet Wolves laying around the house. However, I am sure Dr Mike, Gil, Gerry, Hodgeman, Salmonchaser and Bear-78 also see more bears than they want to see at times, Maybe even Earle, but I think right now he would only see black bears but not sure.

Salmonchaser, do you guide only for fishing or also bird hunting and big game hunting in Alaska? I think I remember you do also guide for birds in Oregon. Many here I am sure are envious of your choice of occupations, the same can be said about Earle, I am sure several would like to do what Earle is doing as well. Nobody wants to be on a sail boat in the Mediterranean drinking adult beverages---well, except me and that is only because I am to old to do anything else )-:

The Russian dumps into the Kenai river and the attention it draws is a spectacle to behold. I have not fished there in 20 years or so. With only a few exceptions on our river you won't have anyone closer than 100 yards and it's very common that others are much further away.

I do guide bird hunts in Oregon. This year I did draw a coveted mule deer tag so I'll be treating myself to a hunt rather than helping out with that. I also drew a spike elk tag, another week for me. Other then that I'll be guiding bird hunts from mid September to Christmas; hunt two days, off a day then hunt two more.
We do offer ptarmigan hunts as a cast and blast adventure day, but we are not seeing many birds.
My friend has asked me to get my big game guide license for Alaska. He has 10 spring bear hunts booked for next year on the peninsula. I'm actively considering that option. I would be an assistant guide.

It has really been interesting how well a career in Law Enforcement dovetails into guiding. Generally speaking, when things are slow people enjoy cop stories. If someone is having a bad day I'll say at least nobody is shooting at us, it's just a little rain.
I love the work, I've been lucky.

As to bobbing around on the Med. it's 50 degrees and raining with wind gusting to 20. You can sign me up today to work on your boat!

Europe":10vbpvss said:

The Russian dumps into the Kenai river and the attention it draws is a spectacle to behold. I have not fished there in 20 years or so. With only a few exceptions on our river you won't have anyone closer than 100 yards and it's very common that others are much further away.

I do guide bird hunts in Oregon. This year I did draw a coveted mule deer tag so I'll be treating myself to a hunt rather than helping out with that. I also drew a spike elk tag, another week for me. Other then that I'll be guiding bird hunts from mid September to Christmas; hunt two days, off a day then hunt two more.
We do offer ptarmigan hunts as a cast and blast adventure day, but we are not seeing many birds.
My friend has asked me to get my big game guide license for Alaska. He has 10 spring bear hunts booked for next year on the peninsula. I'm actively considering that option. I would be an assistant guide.

It has really been interesting how well a career in Law Enforcement dovetails into guiding. Generally speaking, when things are slow people enjoy cop stories. If someone is having a bad day I'll say at least nobody is shooting at us, it's just a little rain.
I love the work, I've been lucky.

As to bobbing around on the Med. it's 50 degrees and raining with wind gusting to 20. You can sign me up today to work on your boat!

Salmonchaser you have the life that many of us could only dream of :wink:. However I am not sure that I could put in the hours of hard work it takes and dealing with humans can sometimes be very trying :mrgreen:.
Please keep the post and photos coming as so many of us really enjoy them (y).

Blessings,
Dan

The days are long, some of the people leave a lasting impression.IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG

Yeah, a handstand in the boat could make a lasting impression. What about when the boat is moving upstream?

She tried a couple of times with the boat floating, couldn't quite pull it off. Not bad for 37 years and two kids.

The numbers are in, as of three days ago we have had 1.9 million sockeye swim past the lodge. Counting has been officially suspended but we're still catching some. Been a fantastic year.

31240e575b99cc88b63dc1eb2734d089.jpg

Finally got out to put some much needed fish in the freezer Saturday. Took a coworker and his wife Dipnetting on the kenai. Going to try again this weekend. My boy has been pestering me to go. Kenai numbers have been on the low side this year

31240e575b99cc88b63dc1eb2734d089.jpg

Finally got out to put some much needed fish in the freezer Saturday. Took a coworker and his wife Dipnetting on the kenai. Going to try again this weekend. My boy has been pestering me to go. Kenai numbers have been on the low side this year

Back