Alaska 2018

That, looks painful. I’d be crying like a baby if I had quills on that part of my face!

Good girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it Women always stick there nose where it doesn't belong.

Boy that should stir things up. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor Molly, she doesn't look too happy about here new nose and face piercings.

Those quills can sure be a serious problem for a dog. Glad you were able to attend to her.

There appears to be a porcupine boom in the area this summer, I do hope she has learned a lesson.
Fishing has been tough the last three days. We've had sustained winds at 15 mph plus, just hasn't let up, looks to be a similar start to the day. Makes fly fishing difficult. So far I'd give the rainbow fishing a solid C+ grade. There has been no effort at Salmon yet though we've seen a few Reds (Sockeye) and reports indicate Kings are in the lower river.
We were probed by Grizz last night about 0300. Close enough to the main house the dogs were growling not barking. Just came in from sweeping the camp, no mischief to report.
Hope you all have a great summer.

Good luck with the weather and the fish, may you catch a ton of them.

I was trying to get the Ladies to make a comment on my post about Molly but I guess they don't feel up to it and I'm glad they didn't since they would have tag teamed me and beat up. :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any dog that has an encounter with a porky and only comes away with a dozen quills was likely born with some sense. Either way I'm sincerely glad for both of you that it was minimal, as porcupines go that was barely a paper cut. They're a mess.

In upland hunting we run into porcupines quite regularly and I have been fortunate enough over the years to have just a few instances where we had to take out a few quills.
Last year my son's pointer had 2 occasions and both times it was minimal damage.
Now this year coming should be interesting as I will have my pup with me and she will be around 6 months old.

Blessings,
Dan

Well that's a wrap, 2018 is in the books. Overall it was a very good year, 10 guests per week; 70% of those had been with us at least once; 40% more than five times. Three groups have visited 18 years in a row.
Currently most of these folks have re booked for next year, but we don't ink them in until the first of the year. Things happen, daughters get married, babies arrive and unfortunately illness occurs.

With the exception of Molly getting "porked" there were no serious injuries to dogs, staff or guests.
The bears were always around but none provided more than a photo op this year.
Flying into King Salmon on June 1 I remarked to another long term guide on the flight, there is still a lot of snow. He agreed and our forecast ultimately bore out to be a high water year, mid August the river was running two feet above average. That much water changes how and where we fish, makes it a little tougher but overall didn't hurt us.
The weather however sucked, really sucked. I applied sun screen only two or three days, most of the summer felt like fishing for winter steelhead in the northwest.
Mid August we got hit by a Typhoon, thankfully it only lasted two days. Unfortunately it coincided with a 25 foot tide. Sustained winds at 75 mph and storm surge tore our dock off its anchors. With guests helping we were able to get enough lines on the dock to keep it from floating away.
The fishing report:
Rainbows on our river; C+. Nothing over 30 inches. On remote streams such as Funnel and Morain creek, spectacular.
Sockeye (Reds). Too good. ADFG controls escapement on the river. They believe 1.5 million fish over a three week period will sustain the run. Gill nets kill about 10 million fish at the mouth. This year there were so many fish the commercial guys couldn't catch them all, we had two days in a row with more than 250,000 fish swimming past our dock. We had consistent fishing, limits every day from June 26 through July 25. Typically the Reds are done by July 20. Picked up a few still in early August.
The kings were feast and famine. Started great but ended poor. ADFG pulled the commercial fleet out of the bay into the river. That decimated the kings. Never got skunked but boy we worked for our fish.
The silver run was off the charts. From August 5 to September 5 we limited every day and most days released more then we kept. My best day three anglers hooked about 70 fish landed 40 and kept 15, by noon.
The remote stream flyouts for Char, Grayling and rainbows was very good. IMG_2296.JPG
My favorite angler weighed in at 80 pounds. His first king weighed 15 pounds, his last weighed 40.IMG_2301.JPG
Guides are under appreciated. Get a pretty girl into a good king, well sometimes it's good to be a guide.image10.jpegimage2.jpeg
Sockeye are great fun and great eating. Sometimes they come so fast I can't keep up.image6.jpegimage8.jpeg
The silvers stacked up like cordwood. They are my favorite salmon to fish for

Silvers averaged about 12 poundsIMG_2374.JPG
Flyouts are my favorite daysIMG_7060.JPGIMG_8805.JPG
Sometimes the locals don't like us, like this pair of grumpy old men2M8A8273.JPG
Bible creek is one of my favorite spotsIMG_2344.JPGIMG_2355.JPG

Back